[comp.sys.mac] Tulin status?

rkh@mtune.ATT.COM (Robert Halloran) (11/15/89)

There were recent reports that Tulin Corp had gone under.
They supply disk drives and cases for same.  I have seen
ads for their packages in the most recent BYTE and InCider/A+
magazines, and they were answering their phone as of 11/14.
What's the story?

						Bob Halloran
UUCP: att!mtune!rkh				Internet: rkh@mtune.ATT.COM
Disclaimer: If you think AT&T would have ME as a spokesman, you're crazed.
Quote: "Remember, kids, if some weirdo in a blue suit offers you some DOS,
	   JUST SAY NO!!!"

carlp@frigg.iscs.com (Carl Paukstis) (11/23/89)

In article <8143@mtune.ATT.COM> rkh@mtune.ATT.COM (Robert Halloran) writes:
>There were recent reports that Tulin Corp had gone under.
>They supply disk drives and cases for same.  I have seen
>ads for their packages in the most recent BYTE and InCider/A+
>magazines, and they were answering their phone as of 11/14.
>What's the story?

When I tried to order a case from them, our purchasing department reported
they were out of business.  That's about as much as I know on that score, I
didn't try to follow up, since if Purchasing thinks they're out of business,
I can't buy from them anyway.  This occurred about October 25.

Last week I got a phone message to call someone at Tulin; I assumed they
had heard I was spreading rumors on the net and wanted to reassure me
that they WERE in business.  However, the number I got on the message
was of the "Your call cannot be completed as dialed..." variety.  I
don't take this to be a good sign, although it is possible that my
secretary transcribed the number incorrectly.

I'd say the jury's still out on whether Tulin is indeed a functioning,
viable business entity.  I have no serious complaint about their
products; we have several cases (we supply our own drives) in use in
house with no significant problems.

I bought the case I wanted from:
  Westcom Computer Systems
  715 Washington Ave.
  P.O. Box 154
  Ayden, NC  28513
  (919) 746-4961
  (800) 422-8591
  Fax: (919) 746-4597

My invoice does not show a part number.  The item is a case suitable
for one half-height SCSI drive (either 3.5 or 5.25) and seems to be
the same size as a HD20 case.  It has a Taiwanese power supply and a
tiny cooling fan.  They provide 1-year warranty and 30-day free return
privelidge.  They accepted our P.O. with bank reference.

The box took about 2 weeks to get here.  No instructions were
provided.  Out-of-box, it had one severe problem:  The 50-pin
connector on the internal cable was improperly installed.  The socket
(female) for pin 1 had the connecting wire sticking out into the
receptor hole, making it impossible to seat the male connector.  After
our engineering lab crimped a new connector, it turned out that the
original connector also had shorted leads 2 and 3.  Back to the
hardware lab, pry open the old connector, break off the offending
taps, reassemble.

It works for me, but I imagine a home consumer without an electronics
lab might be severely disappointed.  I'm not flaming them (much) for
this quality-control problem; I imagine that most of their boxes come
out just fine.  It hasn't been running long enough for me to report on
reliability.  I like the design of the box; make your own inferences
about quality control and take your own risks.

I have no affiliation with either Tulin or Westcom.
--
Carl Paukstis       "I'm the NRA"      |  DOMAIN:  carlp@ISC-BR.COM
   NOTE domain!                        |  UUCP:    ...!uunet!isc-br!frigg!carlp