[comp.sys.mac] Speed of EtherTalk? + Telnet for Versaterm

jfm@ruddles.sprl.umich.edu (John Mansfield) (11/23/89)

In article <763@excelan.COM> markw@kinetics.com (Mark Wittenberg) writes:
> Perhaps normal, but not (to me) acceptable.  Our
(Novell/Excelan/Kinetics)
> telnet/ftp program (LAN Workplace for the Mac) running over our Ethernet
> board (EtherPort II) in binary mode gets 50KB to 95KB per second (bytes,
> not bits) on a MacII with a fast disk; you should see at least 15KB to
25KB
> on any platform.  I'd like to claim that our board is just that much
faster

Here I should note that I use an Etherport II in a Mac II with a Maxtor
200 meg drive and I get
NCSA telnet reporting rates, to a Sun3/60 on the same local Ethernet and to
a Sun3/280 on an Ethernet the other side of a Proteon Ring,  of up to 140KB
per second.  Personally until someone demonstrates that any of the
commerical products are better than the NCSA stuff I would stick with it.
Please Note: I'm using MacTCP on my Mac.
I have been waiting for a demo/beta/evaluation of the Ungermann Bass
software since Xmas of last year.  I want to be able to run Versaterm over
a telnet connection ( something they promised).  Does anyone know of a
WORKING, RELEASED product that will intercept the driver calls in
Versaterm Pro and convert them to TCP/IP ?  According to Lonnie Abelbeck
it should be easy as he said his use of serial driver calls was clean.

Any help appreciated

John Mansfield, Laboratory Coordinator
North Campus Electron Microbeam Analysis Laboratory, University of
Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109-2143
Phone: (313)-936-3352
Email: jfm@ruddles.sprl.umich.edu or
John_Mansfield@um.cc.umich.edu