[comp.sys.mac] Converting PostScript fonts to PostScript drawings?

mha@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Mark H. Anbinder) (11/22/89)

Is there a way to convert PostScript fonts, such as those created in
Fontographer, into PostScript drawing objects that can be edited and
manipulated in Illustrator or FreeHand?  I don't just want to be able
to take a single character and move it around the page... I want to
be able to change the character's shape, extend serifs, add flourishes,
and so on.

--
Mark H. Anbinder        ************************** mha@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu
BAKA Industries                                 ** (cornell!)biar!memory!mha

frank@mnetor.UUCP (Frank Kolnick) (11/23/89)

In article <9338@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> mha@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (Mark H. Anbinder) writes:
>Is there a way to convert PostScript fonts, such as those created in
>Fontographer, into PostScript drawing objects that can be edited and
>manipulated in Illustrator or FreeHand?  I don't just want to be able
>to take a single character and move it around the page... I want to
>be able to change the character's shape, extend serifs, add flourishes,
>and so on.

I noticed an announcement of a product (can't recall the product, the
manufacturer, or the magazine, but it was recent -- not too helpful, eh?)
that will do what you want.  I'll try to re-find the info
and post it if no one else replies.

--
Frank Kolnick,
consulting for, and therefore expressing opinions independent of, Computer X

Spencer.Whetstone@uscacm.UUCP (Spencer Whetstone) (11/23/89)

Fontliner from Taylored graphics will convert Fontagrapher fonts into
outline graphics editable from FreeHand or Illustrator.
Altsys (authors of Fontagrapher, Art Importer, FreeHand - and general
PostScript wizards) has announced a product called Metamorphosis that
will retrieve font outlines from a PostScript printer and generate either
Fontagrapher fonts or editable outlines. Supposedly will work with Type 1
encrypted fonts as well, specifically Adobe/Linotype fonts.

Spencer Whetstone == ...!usceast!uscacm!Spencer.Whetstone