[comp.sys.mac] White Knight 11's XMODEM, Kermit and UNIX

rock%warp@Sun.COM (Bill Petro) (11/17/89)

I have been using the new White Knight 11 for a week or two now.
I have been unable to figure out how to successfully download files from
my Sun workstation to my Mac with anything other than text capture.
I am downloading .hqx files, which could be converted with xbin or
mcvert, but I have been unable to get the WK Kermit or Zterm to receive
these files.  I have used kermit and sz from the Sun side to send.

Has anyone figured out the way to do this?  What Unix sending program
are you using and what flags?

Thanks.
     Bill Petro  {decwrl,hplabs,ucbvax}!sun!Eng!rock
"UNIX for the sake of the kingdom of heaven"  Matthew 19:12

rterry@hpcupt1.HP.COM (Ray Terry) (11/19/89)

>Has anyone figured out the way to do this?  What Unix sending program
>are you using and what flags?

Works fine for me.  For Unix to WK I usually use Kermit for text and rz/sz
for binary.  I've never had any problems...  Autorecieve works great!

Ray

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
Ray Terry                            Hewlett Packard Company  /HPG200/02
GEnie : R.Terry                      CONNECT: Ray
Packet: N6PHJ @ N6IIU                UUCP   : sun!hpda!hpcupt1!rterry
Domain: rterry%hpda@hplabs.hp.com    SysOp  : MacScience BBS (408) 866-4933
IPaddr: 44.4.0.214 N6PHJ.norcal.ampr CIS    : 71150,735
                    #include STANDARD_DISCLAIMER
-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

macman@wpi.wpi.edu (Christopher Silverberg) (11/19/89)

In article <128005@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> rock%warp@Sun.COM (Bill Petro) writes:
>I have been using the new White Knight 11 for a week or two now.
>I have been unable to figure out how to successfully download files from
>my Sun workstation to my Mac with anything other than text capture.

After initiating the sz command from the Sun, Choose Recieve Zmodem from
the file menu. That's it... very simple. WK wont recieve automatically,
you must initiate it on both sides. However it maybe there will be an
autorecieve in the next version. (See my next posting)

 (.) (.) | Chris Silverberg, WPI Box 719    | BBS Sysop: Main Street U.S.A
    u    | USENET: macman@wpi.wpi.edu       | 2400 baud - (508) 832-7725
  \___/  | BITNET: macman@wpi.bitnet        | Fido: 322/575 - Second Sight BBS

hallett@pet3.uucp (Jeff Hallett x5163 ) (11/20/89)

In article <128005@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> rock%warp@Sun.COM (Bill Petro) writes:
>I have been using the new White Knight 11 for a week or two now.
>I have been unable to figure out how to successfully download files from
>my Sun workstation to my Mac with anything other than text capture.
>I am downloading .hqx files, which could be converted with xbin or
>mcvert, but I have been unable to get the WK Kermit or Zterm to receive
>these files.  I have used kermit and sz from the Sun side to send.
>
>Has anyone figured out the way to do this?  What Unix sending program
>are you using and what flags?
>
>Thanks.
>     Bill Petro  {decwrl,hplabs,ucbvax}!sun!Eng!rock
>"UNIX for the sake of the kingdom of heaven"  Matthew 19:12

Bill -

You  will not be   able to transmit  binaries  unless  you are running
8-bit, no parity.  .hqx files (being just  7-bit ascii) will work fine
for  7-bit, odd or even, but  to  utilize the MacBinary   transfer for
Kermit or any *MODEM, 8-bit,N must be running.

BTW, I use s{zxb}  on the Sun UNIX side  with no options.  Similary, I
use kermit -s for kermit stuff.

--
	     Jeffrey A. Hallett, PET Software Engineering
      GE Medical Systems, W641, PO Box 414, Milwaukee, WI  53201

rterry@hpcupt1.HP.COM (Ray Terry) (11/23/89)

>After initiating the sz command from the Sun, Choose Recieve Zmodem from
>the file menu. That's it... very simple. WK wont recieve automatically,
>you must initiate it on both sides. However it maybe there will be an
>autorecieve in the next version.

That is incorrect!  WK -does- do autoreceive.  Perhaps you are just using
an ancient version of rz/sz.  The latest version, I think, is 2.12 dated
5-29-88.

Ray

gall@yunexus.UUCP (Norm Gall) (11/24/89)

rterry@hpcupt1.HP.COM (Ray Terry) writes:

| >After initiating the sz command from the Sun, Choose Recieve Zmodem from
| >the file menu. That's it... very simple. WK wont recieve automatically,
| >you must initiate it on both sides. However it maybe there will be an
| >autorecieve in the next version.

| That is incorrect!  WK -does- do autoreceive.  Perhaps you are just using
| an ancient version of rz/sz.  The latest version, I think, is 2.12 dated
| 5-29-88.

ok... fine, I give up.

Where can I get the source for v2.12??

nrg
--
"Philosophy is not the underlabourer of the sciences but rather their
tribunal; it adjudicates not the truth of scientific theorizing, but