[comp.sys.mac] Postscript to quickdraw translator

dhare%integral@Sun.COM (Dwight Hare) (11/21/89)

I occasionally get postscript output from text formatters on other machines
which I would like to print on my non-postscript printer (like the Deskwriter
or the non-postscript Apple laserwriter).  Does anyone know of a postscript
to quickdraw translator which produces 300dpi output?

I'll summarize responses if I get any.

Thanks,
Dwight
dhare@sun.com

neg@NRC.COM (Neal Goldsmith) (11/27/89)

In article <128146@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> dhare%integral@Sun.COM (Dwight Hare) writes:
>I occasionally get postscript output from text formatters on other machines
>which I would like to print on my non-postscript printer (like the Deskwriter
>or the non-postscript Apple laserwriter).  Does anyone know of a postscript
>to quickdraw translator which produces 300dpi output?

The only program I know of is called PS View and is marketed by ImageSoft
of Port Wahington, New York.

I use it to convert Postscript to PICT output for use with my DeskWriter and
AppleFax Modem. It works fairly well, it doesn't yet handle Type 1 fonts, this
has caused me a few headaches, but otherwise it has handled 80% of what I have
thrown at it. I am hopeing that it can better over time.

It's a bit pricey at $495, but in may case I had no choice.

One other possiblity is Freedom of the Press, it supports a wide varity of
printers, but does not give you the ability to convert to PICT or TIFF formats.
It also does not run on floating point equiped Macs. PS View runs on both,
however the MAC+/SE version is so sloooow it is almost unbareable.

ImageSofts number is (800)245-8840. I am not connected in anyway with them, I
just used their product.

--
  Neal E. Goldsmith                            Network Research Corp
  Internet: neg@nrc.com                        1620 Federal Ave #2

  If you ride into the sunset from Los Angeles, you'll just get wet...