[comp.sys.mac] Memory for IIcx

mjkobb@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Michael J Kobb) (11/28/89)

Greetings,

  Well, I've finally decided that the IIcx is the machine for me (thanks to
all the people who sent replies to my earlier question).  I'm planning on
buying a machine with 1Mb and no hard disk, and getting those items from third-
party suppliers (do you know that the MIT MicroComputer Center wanted $680 for
2Mb?  Hahahahahaha!).  At any rate, someone posted a few weeks ago that there's
a supplier of SIMMS mail order that's almost as cheap as Chip Merchant, but
that takes credit cards.  Unfortunately, that message seems to have vanished
into the abyss at this site.  Could someone please re-post or mail me the
company's name and (if possible) their phone number?

  Since I'm buying memory, it would be good to know what kind to get.  I tend
to trust the net more than I do salespeople, so:  What is the proper speed to
get for the IIcx?  Do 80ns SIMMS do me any good, or is that only with the 'ci?
Finally, when looking through an old (a month ago) MacWeek, there was an ad
for SIMMS, and they had (I think this was how it was phrased) 1x8 SIMMS and
1x9.  Is the 9 only for the ci with parity checking?

  Sorry to ask all these questions which have already been answered, but the
answers vanished into the void, and I remember someone writing that Chip
Merchant, at least, had told him that they rely on their customers to know what
kind of chips they need, so I'm stuck.  Email is fine, or post.

Thanks in advance,

--Mike

PS.  Anyone got any thoughts on the LaCie 105Mb hard disk?  Seems fast, fairly
inexpensive, and it's got a LONG warranty!

roy@phri.nyu.edu (Roy Smith) (11/28/89)

In <1095@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU> mjkobb@media-lab.media.mit.edu (Michael J
Kobb) writes:
> What is the proper speed to get for the IIcx?  Do 80ns SIMMS do me any
> good, or is that only with the 'ci?

	We went through all this just a few weeks ago, but that's ok.  You
need SIMMS that are as fast or faster than your machine requires.  I think
the cx needs 100ns memory.  If you get 80ns memory, it'll work just as
well.  And, no, it won't be any faster.  It might be more expensive (but,
given the current market, it might very well not be) than 100ns memory, but
otherwise they are interchangable.

	This is NOT true in the other direction; if your machine needs 80ns
memory, you cannot put 100ns memory into it.  You might get away with it if
your machine doesn't get too warm, or the power supply voltage doesn't get
too low, or the system clock is a tad slow, or the chips were
conservatively rated, or venus is in conjunction with mars, but I would't
trust it in *my* machine.

	Just for the record, my cx has 80ns SIMMS from the Chip Merchant.
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016
{att,philabs,cmcl2,rutgers,hombre}!phri!roy -or- roy@alanine.phri.nyu.edu
"The connector is the network"