[comp.sys.mac] Who's got the ANSWERS?

glk01126@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (11/21/89)

	On a lighter note... who the heck answers all these questions?
	I've just read through 50 questions and 1 response which
	was a question itself!

	Sorry, just thought I'd mention that.

ericw@manta.NOSC.MIL (Eric Williams) (11/22/89)

In article <111900098@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu>, glk01126@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

> 	On a lighter note... who the heck answers all these questions?
> 	I've just read through 50 questions and 1 response which
> 	was a question itself!
>
> 	Sorry, just thought I'd mention that.
-------

    I think this group has become over run with posters, and
    not enough readers.  The traffic in this group is so heavy,
    it's becoming impossible to keep up with it.  Before anyone
    posts a question, they should try answering one first.
    Like me, I'm answering this guys Q.  :-)
     Eric D. Williams                    Adam:  Is that an Apple?
     Computer Resource Center             Eve:  No silly,
     ericw@nosc.mil                             It's a Mac!

garym@telesoft.com (Gary Morris @nova) (11/28/89)

In article <111900098@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu>, glk01126@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

> 	On a lighter note... who the heck answers all these questions?
> 	I've just read through 50 questions and 1 response which
> 	was a question itself!

Many people answer questions by sending mail directly to the poster, who
will (hopefully) summarize if it's of general interest.  It's preferable to
do this to avoid getting the same answer posted multiple times on the net.
There is way too much traffic in this newsgroup already.  I always (well,
almost always) send answers by mail rather than posting a followup.
You can always send mail to the person who asked a question and see if he
got an answer.
--GaryM
--
Gary Morris      {uunet,ucsd}!telesoft!garym       TeleSoft
N6FRT            garym@telesoft.com                San Diego, CA, USA

J.COOK@ENM.Prime.COM (11/28/89)

In article by garym@telesoft.UUCP:
In article <111900098@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu>, glk01126@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
>Many people answer questions by sending mail directly to the poster, who
>will (hopefully) summarize if it's of general interest.  ... I always
>(well, almost always) send answers by mail rather than posting a followup.
>You can always send mail to the person who asked a question and see if he
>got an answer.

Well, no, you can't "always send mail to the person who asked a question
and see if he got an answer.

MANY people list their reply address as something of the form "HARRY@SITE.UUCP"
Problem is, we could send mail to Harry if we could find the site and we could
get to the site if we knew the path, but we don't know the path.  Most email
bounces.

Perhaps there is some great node out there that knows the path to most sites.
Mail routed through it would magically get to the right place.  If it exists,
I don't know about it.

Jim Cook (J.COOK@ENM.PRIME.COM)
"Just my opinions (or lack of knowledge), not my employer's"