[comp.sys.mac] vi and ZTerm 0.85

kelvin@cs.utexas.edu (Kelvin Thompson) (11/17/89)

I got Zterm 0.85 off of Sumex a few days ago and promptly used it
to call my local Unix system.  Version 0.80 worked fine with vi,
but 0.85 has problems.

SYMPTOMS:  When you move the cursor near the end of a line, it
tends to zap over to the edge of the screen and tries to go *past*
the end.

TENTATIVE DIAGNOSIS:  The new tabs in 0.85 are confusing vi a
little, so that tab stops are not where vi thinks they are.

Anybody got any solutions? (I've already turned off auto-linefeed.)
Until somebody does, I'm back to 0.80.

Please e-mail and I'll summarize.

--
-- Kelvin Thompson, Lone Rider of the Apocalypse
   kelvin@cs.utexas.edu  {...,uunet}!cs.utexas.edu!kelvin

davea@kgw2.UUCP (Dave Alverson) (11/29/89)

In article <187@pop.cs.utexas.edu>, kelvin@cs.utexas.edu (Kelvin Thompson) writes:
> I got Zterm 0.85 off of Sumex a few days ago and promptly used it
> to call my local Unix system.  Version 0.80 worked fine with vi,
> but 0.85 has problems.
>
> SYMPTOMS:  When you move the cursor near the end of a line, it
> tends to zap over to the edge of the screen and tries to go *past*
> the end.

It is an initialization bug in ZTerm.  When it first comes up, no TABs
are set.  However, the default tabs are set whenever you select a setup
from the Dial menu, or when you turn on Show Controls.  So its mostly
a problem for those with direct connections to their default setup.

(We're new on the net.  Not sure what a good address is for here.)

--
Dave Alverson,  author of ZTerm,  Mason, OH