[comp.sys.mac] ICN# <--> ICON

resgroup@uicsl.csl.uiuc.edu (11/25/89)

Could anyone tell me how to change an ICON into an ICN# and change it back?

Thanks a lot.
					Ju, Yun-Cheng

earleh@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Earle R. Horton) (11/25/89)

In article <13500005@uicsl.csl.uiuc.edu> resgroup@uicsl.csl.uiuc.edu writes:

>Could anyone tell me how to change an ICON into an ICN# and change it back?

Using ResEdit, open the resource with "Open General."  This gets you
access to the hex data of the ICON or ICN#.  Cut, Copy, and Paste the
hex data to move the image back and forth between the resource types.
The ICN# resource is actually twice as large as the ICON resource,
because it incorporates a mask.  This means that if you convert an
ICON into an ICN# this way, you will have to open up the ICN# using
the graphical ICN# editor, and define a mask for it, no big deal.

I believe custom applications and XCMDs exist for doing this, but if
you want to do just one or two, ResEdit should do the trick.

Earle R. Horton

hlee@umn-cs.CS.UMN.EDU (Chih Lee) (11/25/89)

In article <13500005@uicsl.csl.uiuc.edu> resgroup@uicsl.csl.uiuc.edu writes:

>Could anyone tell me how to change an ICON into an ICN# and change it back?
>
>Thanks a lot.
>					Ju, Yun-Cheng
Use Clipboard Magician 0.5, freeware.  The author is Ed Lai from Apple Company.
You can find it on sumex.stanford.edu by ftp.

It is in info-mac/da or info-mac/util.  I can not remember now.

With Clipboard Magician 0.5, you can transfer PICT or MacPaint file into ICON
or ICN# and converse works as well.

Thanks for this great utility, Mr Lai.

Lee

* Give a man a fish and he can just eat for a day.                 *
* Teach a man how to fish and he can eat for the rest of his life. *
* - Chinese Proverb -                                              *

PFTERRY@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (11/25/89)

In article <17246@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU>, earleh@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Earle R. Horton) writes:
> In article <13500005@uicsl.csl.uiuc.edu> resgroup@uicsl.csl.uiuc.edu writes:
>>
>>Could anyone tell me how to change an ICON into an ICN# and change it back?
>>

> Using ResEdit, open the resource with "Open General."  This gets you
> access to the hex data of the ICON or ICN#.  Cut, Copy, and Paste the
> hex data to move the image back and forth between the resource types.
> The ICN# resource is actually twice as large as the ICON resource,
> because it incorporates a mask.  This means that if you convert an
> ICON into an ICN# this way, you will have to open up the ICN# using
> the graphical ICN# editor, and define a mask for it, no big deal.

If you don't want to fire up ResEdit, you could also use ClipBoard Magician.
You can get it ftp from Sumex.

Fred Terry
Univ. of KS

truesdel@ics.uci.edu (Scott Truesdell) (11/30/89)

resgroup@uicsl.csl.uiuc.edu writes:

>Could anyone tell me how to change an ICON into an ICN# and change it back?

If you hold down the <shift> key in either of the graphical editors in
ResEdit, you can use the pointer to select a section of the graphic
just like a marquee (SP?) tool does in a paint program. In this case
you would want to select the entire 32 x 32 rect. Copy and Paste
between the two types will work as expected. If you've ever used
MacPaint, you'll pick it up quick enough.

So, assuming you have a good ICON and want to generate a ICN# you
would proceed as follows:

 1. Open the ICON.
 2. Hold down the <shift> key and drag from the upper-left to
    lower-right corner. A selection marquee should appear.
 3. "Copy".
 4. Close the ICON and the ICON picker.
 5. Open the ICN# picker if some already exist. If no ICN#s exist
    yet, do a "New" and specify ICN#.
 6. Do a "New" from within the ICN# picker and there will be the
    standard ICN# editor, blank.
 7. "Paste".
 8. Do "Data -> Mask" from the menu.
 9. Edit as desired. Close. Change the ID if you wish by "Get Info".

Going from an ICN# to a ICON is similar. Hope this helps.

  --scott

--
Scott Truesdell