[comp.sys.mac] Auto-receiving with White Knight 11

macman@wpi.wpi.edu (Christopher Silverberg) (11/19/89)

There have been a few postings regarding the lack of an auto-recieve option
in White Knight. As Norm already pointed out, there IS auto-receive for a
direct WK to WK connection, but how many times in our life will we do that??

But I do have an a method for making your own auto-receive using a simple
procedure...

First, write a procedure to call a system, or a multitude of systems.
(For instance, I have one that logs in my password and sets me up to VT102
emulation for my school computer.

  1> Use the PUTPARAM 658,1 (for unix) or PUTPARAM 658,0 (for opus), and
     you'll be all set for auto send.

  2> Set up an endless loop to watch for the string "00000000000" or
     whatever the standard send for a recieve zmodem file and then branch
     to RECZ and you'll be all set for auto receive.

That is what I have done... it works well. BUT, if we let Scott know that
we would like to see Auto Recieve/Send for White Knight AND OPUS AND UNIX,
I'm sure it will be included in the next version.

(For instance, there would be a selection box for Auto-Recieve. It would
have three options 1>White Knight  2>Opus systems  3>Unix systems.)
 (.) (.) | Chris Silverberg, WPI Box 719    | BBS Sysop: Main Street U.S.A
    u    | USENET: macman@wpi.wpi.edu       | 2400 baud - (508) 832-7725
  \___/  | BITNET: macman@wpi.bitnet        | Fido: 322/575 - Second Sight BBS

rterry@hpcupt1.HP.COM (Ray Terry) (11/23/89)

WK's autoreceive from Unix systems works great.  No need what-so-ever to write
a proc to initiate it.  Just type "sz filename" to initiate the transfer from
the Unix box and WK will automatically begin receiving the file.

Perhaps you're using an ancient version of Forsberg's rz/sz.  If you're using
v2.12 (dated 5-29-88) or later, you should not have any troubles.

Ray

ngg@bridge2.ESD.3Com.COM (Norman Goodger) (11/23/89)

In article <5716@wpi.wpi.edu> macman@wpi.wpi.edu (Christopher Silverberg) writes:
>There have been a few postings regarding the lack of an auto-recieve option
>in White Knight. As Norm already pointed out, there IS auto-receive for a
>direct WK to WK connection, but how many times in our life will we do that??
>  1> Use the PUTPARAM 658,1 (for unix) or PUTPARAM 658,0 (for opus), and
>     you'll be all set for auto send.
>  2> Set up an endless loop to watch for the string "00000000000" or
>     whatever the standard send for a recieve zmodem file and then branch
>     to RECZ and you'll be all set for auto receive.
>That is what I have done... it works well. BUT, if we let Scott know that
>we would like to see Auto Recieve/Send for White Knight AND OPUS AND UNIX,
>I'm sure it will be included in the next version.
>(For instance, there would be a selection box for Auto-Recieve. It would
>have three options 1>White Knight  2>Opus systems  3>Unix systems.)

While I am not sure what the specific problem is on some Unix systems,
perhaps there is an old version of zmodem installed at some sites, I
don't know. However White Knight will Automatically begin any zmodem
file transfer without human intervention if you have Auto_receive checked
in the File transfer options. The PUTPARAM allows you to select what WK
will look for when the transfer is beginning. When I type sz filename (CR)
on my unix system, it sends the following

rz
**B000000000000

In which WK instantly opens the file transfer dialog and begins downloading
the file. I understand there are a variety of versions of Chuck's zmodem
out there, we have 2.10 here, and I read a previous msg that someone had
2.12 installed at their site. While I would assume that they should all
work the same, perhaps this is not the case. So perhaps the problem is
you are not waiting long enough for the tranfer to actually begin, again
I don't know, however I can receive zmodem files once intiated without
issuing a Cmd-RZ.

--
Norm Goodger				SysOp - MacInfo BBS @415-795-8862
3Com Corp.				Co-SysOp FreeSoft RT - GEnie.

henry@chinet.chi.il.us (Henry C. Schmitt) (11/23/89)

In article <1108@bridge2.ESD.3Com.COM> ngg@bridge2.ESD.3Com.COM (Norman Goodger) writes:
> When I type sz filename (CR)
>on my unix system, it sends the following
>
>rz
>**B000000000000
>
>In which WK instantly opens the file transfer dialog and begins
>downloading the file.

This is exactly what my version of White Knight (w/ auto-receive on)
did as soon as it saw the above message!

Thanx a lot Norman! :->  I had to cancel the "file transfer",
deactivate auto-receive, re-read the message to see what it said.
After this is sent, I'm gonna have to remember to reactivate
auto-receive!

--
  H3nry C. Schmitt     | CompuServe: 72275,1456  (Rarely)
 Royal Inn of Yoruba   | UUCP: Henry@chinet.chi.il.us  (Best Bet)

macman@wpi.wpi.edu (Christopher Silverberg) (11/24/89)

In article <1108@bridge2.ESD.3Com.COM> ngg@bridge2.ESD.3Com.COM (Norman Goodger) writes:
>While I am not sure what the specific problem is on some Unix systems,
>perhaps there is an old version of zmodem installed at some sites, I
>don't know. However White Knight will Automatically begin any zmodem
>file transfer without human intervention if you have Auto_receive checked
>in the File transfer options. The PUTPARAM allows you to select what WK
>will look for when the transfer is beginning. When I type sz filename (CR)
>on my unix system, it sends the following

(send command deleted)

Well, apparently the system I use is an older one, so i'll have to see
exactly what string it is sending for zmodem. But Norm, one question.
Did you realize that the string you put in your previous message just started
hundreds of users on a zmodem recieve?

I had to turn off auto recieve so I could read the rest of your message!
If people had doubts that there is an autorecieve, i'm sure they're convinced
now! (smile)

I thought it was quite funny though!

 (.) (.) | Chris Silverberg, WPI Box 719    | BBS Sysop: Main Street U.S.A
    u    | USENET: macman@wpi.wpi.edu       | 2400 baud - (508) 832-7725
  \___/  | BITNET: macman@wpi.bitnet        | Fido: 322/575 - Second Sight BBS

hankin@sauron.osf.org (Scott Hankin) (11/27/89)

Ah, life.  Just when you think you've hit all the possibilities, someone
points out the obvious.

The problem, it turns out, was that I was using a nearly extinct version
of Chuck Forsberg's UNIX ZModem utilities.   I hit upon this possibility
after Ray Terry sent me mail mentioning the version of sz he was using.
He then proceeded to mail me the latest version, which cured the problem.
Apologies to all who might have taken my woes to be dissatisfaction with
WK 11.0.  Nothing could be further from the truth.  WK is my comm program
of choice.

I never cease to be amazed at the large number of helpful folks on the net.
I'd like to thank Ray, Norm, and all the others who sent me mail trying to
solve my problem.  I especially want to thank Chuck Forsberg for writing
the ZModem tools for UNIX.  Without his work, this discussion would be moot.

By the way, the version giving me the problems was downloaded from sumex.  I
will be looking into updating the version which resides there.

To everyone who responded, by mail or net, many thanks.

- Scott

------------------------------
Scott Hankin  (hankin@osf.org)
Open Software Foundation

arvidson@euclid.MATH.ColoState.Edu (John Arvidson) (11/28/89)

>The problem, it turns out, was that I was using a nearly extinct version
>of Chuck Forsberg's UNIX ZModem utilities.   I hit upon this possibility
>after Ray Terry sent me mail mentioning the version of sz he was using.
>He then proceeded to mail me the latest version, which cured the problem.

Anyone out there know of where we can download (via anonymous ftp) the latest
version of the unix zmodem?  ...or could someone mail me a copy?

Thanks,
John
arvidson@euclid.math.colostate.edu

ngg@bridge2.ESD.3Com.COM (Norman Goodger) (11/28/89)

In article <5798@wpi.wpi.edu> macman@wpi.wpi.edu (Christopher Silverberg) writes:
>Well, apparently the system I use is an older one, so i'll have to see
>exactly what string it is sending for zmodem. But Norm, one question.
>Did you realize that the string you put in your previous message just started
>hundreds of users on a zmodem recieve?
>I had to turn off auto recieve so I could read the rest of your message!
>If people had doubts that there is an autorecieve, i'm sure they're convinced
>now! (smile)
>I thought it was quite funny though!

Hmm, I forgot about that when I sent the msg, guess its one way of proving
that it works. It appears that there is a 3.03 version of rzsz available
from somewhere. Hopefully if more sites can find a copy they can update
zmodem on their systems and eliminate this problem once and for all..

--
Norm Goodger				SysOp - MacInfo BBS @415-795-8862
3Com Corp.				Co-SysOp FreeSoft RT - GEnie.
Enterprise Systems Division             (I disclaim anything and everything)
UUCP: {3comvax,auspex,sun}!bridge2!ngg  Internet: ngg@bridge2.ESD.3Com.COM

uzun@pnet01.cts.com (Roger Uzun) (11/28/89)

Does anyone know if/where one can find a version of sz/rz for
VAX VMS?
-Roger

UUCP: {hplabs!hp-sdd ucsd nosc}!crash!pnet01!uzun
ARPA: crash!pnet01!uzun@nosc.mil
INET: uzun@pnet01.cts.com

takahash@ntmtv.UUCP (Alan Takahashi) (11/30/89)

In article <783@crash.cts.com> uzun@pnet01.cts.com (Roger Uzun) writes:
>Does anyone know if/where one can find a version of sz/rz for
>VAX VMS?
>-Roger

I'd be happy with one that runs on Unix.  Can someone mail me a copy?
(Note: Don't have ftp, or I wouldn't have to ask... :-) )

Thanks much.

Alan Takahashi                          !       hplabs   amdahl
Northern Telecom Inc.                   !            \   /
Mountain View, CA                       !UUCP:  ...!{-----}!ntmtv!takahash
                                        !              |
"When you need to knock on wood is when !             ames
  you realize the world's composed of   !INTERNET:
  aluminum and vinyl." -- Flugg's Law   !    ntmtv!takahash@ames.arc.nasa.gov

allbery@NCoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery) (11/30/89)

As quoted from <783@crash.cts.com> by uzun@pnet01.cts.com (Roger Uzun):
+---------------
| Does anyone know if/where one can find a version of sz/rz for
| VAX VMS?
+---------------

The Unix rz/sz source distribution (as of version 1.4?, at least -- where can
I get a newer?  And why wasn't it posted somewhere, or at least announced?)
includes a VMS port.

++Brandon

--
Brandon S. Allbery    allbery@NCoast.ORG, BALLBERY (MCI Mail), ALLBERY (Delphi)
uunet!hal.cwru.edu!ncoast!allbery ncoast!allbery@hal.cwru.edu bsa@telotech.uucp

>The Unix rz/sz source distribution (as of version 1.4?, at least -- where can
>I get a newer?  And why wasn't it posted somewhere, or at least announced?)
>includes a VMS port.

SIMTEL20.ARPA has version 3.xx in their archives.

--

Chuq Von Rospach   <+>   chuq@apple.com   <+>   [This is myself speaking]

When it comes to matters ourside your specialties, you are consistently and
brilliantly stupid [....] with respect to matters you haven't studied and
have had no experience basing your opinions on casual gossip [....] and
plain misinformation -- unsuspected because you haven't attempted to verify it.
	-- Robert Heinlein to J.W. Campbell, Jr. 1941