[comp.sys.mac] Address Book Software Request

dan@s3dawn.ARPA (Dan Peterka) (11/19/89)

I posted this request just before our gateway machine went down, so if there
were any replies, I missed them.

I am looking for software to run on a Mac which can maintain an address
book.  Sounds like it should be one of the easiest things one could do with
a computer, but it is amazing how few products are out there. In particular,
I am looking for something with the following capabilities which tend to rule
out WP and routine database programs:

     o 	Printouts on DayTimer sized 5.5 X 8.0 inch paper as well as normal
	8.5 X 11 paper. Printout must be able to print each letter on a
	separate page for use with tabbed index sheets. Must be useable with
	a DeskWriter printer. Special forms are OK, but I'd rather find
	something which can be used with plain paper.

     o	Cross-referencing feature to enable names to be multiply listed under
	a group heading as well as individually (e.g. combined yellow and white
	pages listings).

     o	Generous (hopefully unlimited) comment fields to be used to enter
	alternate addresses, kids names, birthdays, etc... It would really be
	nice to be able to define multiple data entry forms.

     o	File merging so that multiple address files can be maintained, and
	then merged in any fashion to produce a customized address book.

     o	Mail Label support and multicolumn printout for condensed versions.

I'll summarize any responses and repost to the Net.
Dan Peterka                     S-CUBED                     3398 Carmel Mtn Rd.
dan@scubed.scubed.com           (619) 587-8338              San Diego, CA 92121

oster@dewey.soe.berkeley.edu (David Phillip Oster) (11/30/89)

In article <105@scubed.SCUBED.COM> dan@scubed.scubed.com (Dan Peterka) writes:
[...]

Dear Dan,
  Your posting made my day.  I am the author of Address Book Plus, from
Power-Up! Software of San Mateo, CA. (415) 345 5900. After 6 months of
hard work, it has finally gone golden, which means it is in duplication
and will be in the stores in a few weeks.  I quoted your posting in its
entirety because Address Book Plus does _everything_ you are asking for.
In addition, it also prints rolodex(tm) cards, mailing labels, and
dials the phone. It handles center feed printers like the Laserwriter II,
tractor feed printers, and left or right feed printers like the original
laserwriters. In addition to plain paper printing it comes with a nifty
spiral binding system and Power-Up! sells a few sizes of pre-printed
paper, for both tractor feed and sheet feed printers.

As a gift, we are including databases of (800) numbers and a file of every
senator and representative to make political activism easier. I think it
is a great product. I use it myself.

> The mac is a detour in the inevitable march of mediocre computers.
> drs@bnlux0.bnl.gov (David R. Stampf)
--- David Phillip Oster          -master of the ad hoc odd hack.
Arpa: oster@dewey.soe.berkeley.edu
Uucp: {uwvax,decvax}!ucbvax!oster%dewey.soe.berkeley.edu