[comp.sys.mac] _Last Modified_ field on Appleshare

gregb@dowjone.UUCP (Gregory S. Baber) (11/17/89)

Sorry if this has been hacked around before.

I have a bunch of client machines to one Appleshare server. User 1 on
machine 1 creates a file, and then stores it on the server. Let's say
that the time in the _Last Modified_ field was 11:00 am.

User 1 looks at the file in the server by date and sees 11:00

User 2 on machine 2 looks at the same file several minutes later and
also sees 11:00. But then user 2 sees that the time on his machine is
wrong, and changes it (subtracts 1 hour) but DOESN'T reboot. User 2
then looks at the file on the server again, and still sees 11:00.

But then user 2 reboots. User 2 looks at the file a third time. Only this
time sees the last modified time at 10:00 rather than the 11:00 that he saw
before.

Is this right? The _Last Modified_ field for a file on the server depends
on the time on the client machine? Is there any way we can force the
clients to use the server time to display the file rather than the client
time? Or are our machines just plain broke, and we don't know it?

Thanks,   --gregb

--
Reply to: Gregory S. Baber		Voice:	(609) 520-5077
   Dow Jones & Co., Inc.		UUCP:	..princeton!dowjone!gregb

tecot@Apple.COM (Ed Tecot) (11/30/89)

In article <643@warlock.UUCP> gregb@dowjone.UUCP (Gregory S. Baber) writes:
>Is this right? The _Last Modified_ field for a file on the server depends
>on the time on the client machine? Is there any way we can force the
>clients to use the server time to display the file rather than the client
>time? Or are our machines just plain broke, and we don't know it?

All files are stored on an AppleShare volume with both the created and
modified times based upon the server's clock.  However, the software doesn't
assume that the client is in the same time zone as the server, so it adjusts
the time reported to the client by the difference in the two machine's
clocks, to the nearest hour.  So, if you create a file on a server with a
client who's clock is not correct, the time and date stamps will not be
incorrect for any other clients who's clocks are not messed up.

						_emt