[comp.sys.mac] SmallTalk-80 and two monitors

carter@portia.Stanford.EDU (Thomas J. Carter) (11/21/89)

Is is possible to run SmallTalk-80 across two monitors?  I'm running
on a Mac II (6.0.3, 4 Meg) with one Apple RGB monitor and one B&W.
Regardless of the color configuration or monitor placement, I can't
pull a SmallTalk window (i.e. the Browser, the workspace, etc) into
my second monitor.  The mouse moves into it, but the window just
stops on the border between the two monitors.  This happens with
Finder and MultiFinder.  Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Tom Carter
Stanford University
carter@portia.stanford.edu

lbaum@bcsaic.UUCP (Larry Baum) (11/23/89)

In article <6885@portia.Stanford.EDU> carter@portia.Stanford.EDU (Thomas J. Carter) writes:
>Is is possible to run SmallTalk-80 across two monitors?  I'm running
>on a Mac II (6.0.3, 4 Meg) with one Apple RGB monitor and one B&W.
>Regardless of the color configuration or monitor placement, I can't
>pull a SmallTalk window (i.e. the Browser, the workspace, etc) into
>my second monitor.  The mouse moves into it, but the window just
>stops on the border between the two monitors.  This happens with
>Finder and MultiFinder.  Thanks in advance for any and all help.

I am pretty sure that the Smalltalk windows (such as the Browser) are not Mac
windows; i.e there is just one Mac window here, the entire Smalltalk desktop.
If you shrink the desktop (hold down the option key and drag the mouse from the
lower right corner of the desktop you will resize that window and can probably
move the whole desktop onto the other monitor) but you definitely cannot just move
a Browser off the desktop.

--
Larry Baum
Advanced Technology Center

pnm@goanna.oz.au (Paul Big-Ears Menon) (11/23/89)

carter@portia.Stanford.EDU (Thomas J. Carter) writes:
    >Is is possible to run SmallTalk-80 across two monitors?  I'm running
    >on a Mac II (6.0.3, 4 Meg) with one Apple RGB monitor and one B&W.
    >Regardless of the color configuration or monitor placement, I can't
    >pull a SmallTalk window (i.e. the Browser, the workspace, etc) into
    >my second monitor.  The mouse moves into it, but the window just
    >stops on the border between the two monitors.  This happens with
    >Finder and MultiFinder.  Thanks in advance for any and all help.

  If you are talking about ParcPlace's ObjectWorks (Smalltalk v2.5) - Yes.
Grab the bottom right of the Smalltalk "Desktop" with the option key depressed.
It will behave like a window expanding: ie the "desktop's" window outline will
appear as though you've clicked in the size box.  You then "refresh display"
to get the Desktop in it's true pattern.

  This works best if you have the "second" monitor to the right of the main
one.  There is a way of fiddling from within - I think the Class/Global-Object
(can't remember) DisplayScreen allows you to configure the screen to be any
rectangular size with an arbitrary offset.

  The option-drag technique may also work with v2.3 but can't be sure.  I know
I got around it with the second method anyway.

Have fun,

    Paul Menon,
    Dept of Computer Science,
    Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology,
    124 Latrobe Street,
    Melbourne 3001,
    Victoria, Australia.

PH:	+61 3 660 3209
CSNET:		pnm@goanna.rmit.oz
BITNET/ARPA:	pnm%goanna.rmit.oz@uunet.uu.net
UUCP:		...!uunet!munnari!goanna.rmit.oz!pnm

carter@portia.Stanford.EDU (Thomas J. Carter) (11/28/89)

I had/have tried enlarging the window that SmallTalk operates within.
However I still cannot move/open a another window (i.e. Browser) in
the secondary monitor.  The mouse will cross between the two monitors,
but nothing else will.  I have one color and one B&W monitor, but
regardless of the color configuration I just can't get it.  Has
anyone actually done this?  That would at least tell me if the
problem lies entirely with me.  Thanks again for any and all replies.

Tom Carter
carter@portia.stanford.edu

lbaum@bcsaic.UUCP (Larry Baum) (12/01/89)

In article <7037@portia.Stanford.EDU> carter@portia.Stanford.EDU (Thomas J. Carter) writes:
>I had/have tried enlarging the window that SmallTalk operates within.
>However I still cannot move/open a another window (i.e. Browser) in
>the secondary monitor.  The mouse will cross between the two monitors,
>but nothing else will.  I have one color and one B&W monitor, but
>regardless of the color configuration I just can't get it.  Has
>anyone actually done this?  That would at least tell me if the
>problem lies entirely with me.  Thanks again for any and all replies.

BUt the Browser, or any other Smalltalk window, is not a real Mac window.  It is
an internal object to Smalltalk.  As far as the Mac is concerned there is only one
window, the entire Smalltalk desktop.  What you are trying to do is analogous to
marking a word in MacWrite, or a circle in MacDraw, and trying to drag it out of
the MacWrite (MacDraw) window.  You just can't do that.