[comp.sys.mac] Fullwrite 1.1 bug

bwbecker@violet.waterloo.edu (Byron Weber Becker) (07/12/89)

I've been trying to convince Fullwrite 1.1 to create a new chapter for
me -- watched the watch hands go around for 20 minutes before I finally
gave up.  I need a work-around.

The document is about 20 pages long and is all in an outline.  Outline
headlines are formatted using custom styles.  There are a few sidebars and
citations.

Not long before this bug showed up I moved several sections of the outline
around using the Show Outline command.  Several of them moved to different
chapters leaving their old chapters empty.

Attempting to create new chapters hangs (Superclock doesn't get any cpu
cycles to update the time).

I can shuffle things around using the Show Outline command so that the
proper sections are in the proper chapters, but when I leave that dialog,
the outline is scrambled (ie the first part of section 4 was between
sections 1 and 2 while the last part of section 4 was in the proper
place -- the numbering was *not* consistent with the new structure).  On
one occasion a section that should have been numbered somthing like
5.2.1.2 was numbered something like 1244.-256.5.532!

All this is happening on a 2Meg Mac+, System 6.0.2, and a couple of inits:
Gatekeeper, Superclock, Remember?, SFInitVol, ApplicationMenus.

Anyway, anyone know of a work-around?

Thanks in advance,

Byron Weber Becker
bwbecker@violet.waterloo.edu

casseres@apple.com (David Casseres) (07/12/89)

In article <15058@watdragon.waterloo.edu> bwbecker@violet.waterloo.edu
(Byron Weber Becker) writes:
> I've been trying to convince Fullwrite 1.1 to create a new chapter for
> me -- watched the watch hands go around for 20 minutes before I finally
> gave up.  I need a work-around.

> The document is about 20 pages long and is all in an outline.  Outline
> headlines are formatted using custom styles.  There are a few sidebars
and
> citations.

> Not long before this bug showed up I moved several sections of the
outline
> around using the Show Outline command.  Several of them moved to
different
> chapters leaving their old chapters empty.

[further description deleted for brevity]

This sounds like the same kind of stuff I saw in v1.0, when I tried to
work with outlines.  I gave up on FullWrite as a result.  It was bad
enough for such a high-end product to be so completely broken in one of
its major feature areas at first release; it's inexcusable in second
release.

David Casseres

Exclaimer:  Hey!

AGRAWAL@rcgl1.eng.ohio-state.edu (Rajiv Agrawal) (11/18/89)

Hi,
   I was wondering if anybody has collected a list of bugs for Fullwrite 1.1
program.  I saw a list for MS Word 4.0.  What about a similar list for
Fullwrite and I am sure it would be a big one since I seem to crash my mac
every 15 mins with it.  Here is one repeatable bug:

Select Style... from the Style menu and in the subscript or superscript size
enter .. (i.e. two decimal points instead of one) and the Mac crashes.

Also, after couple of cut and pastes, try double clicking on a picture item (
especially a formula) and the Mac crashes.  This bug is hard to predict.

Any help would be appreciated.  Are there any upgrades coming?
Thanks.

Rajiv
Rajiv Agrawal      (614) 292-9029     (614) 421-7970
206 W 18th Ave, Columbus, OH 43210             BITNET: TS5600@OHSTVMA
INTERNET: agrawal%rcgl1@eng.ohio-state.edu   rajiv@felix.eng.ohio-state.edu
UUCP:    {pyramid,killer,bellcore}!osu-cis!eng.ohio-state.edu!agrawal-r

Being an Indian, I prefer to work 8-5 Indian Standard Time.

vita@daredevil.crd.ge.com (Mark F Vita) (12/01/89)

In article <3554@quanta.eng.ohio-state.edu> AGRAWAL@rcgl1.eng.ohio-state.edu (Rajiv Agrawal) writes:
Here is one repeatable bug:

>Select Style... from the Style menu and in the subscript or superscript size
>enter .. (i.e. two decimal points instead of one) and the Mac crashes.

Hmm.  I couldn't duplicate this on my copy of FullWrite 1.1.  When I
do the above and hit Enter (or click on OK), I get an alert saying
"'..' is not a valid number."  And yes, I am running MultiFinder.
This is on a 2.5-meg Mac Plus running System 6.0.2.

Mark Vita                              vita@crd.ge.com
General Electric CRD               	..!uunet!crd.ge.com!vita
Schenectady, NY