[comp.sys.mac] Adobe Type Manager / MS Word 4.0

schapman@gouda.uucp (Scott Chapman {x6088}) (11/30/89)

I have head that there are problems getting the Adobe Type Manager
to work with Microsoft Word 4.0. As I understand it Word does not
support fractional fonts. Does anyone know if they (Microsoft or Adobe)
are planning any fixes to this or if there are any work-arounds?
Also, to what extent does is screw up Word? (i.e. only during the
printing/displaying of certain fonts under certain conditions or is
it ALL fonts)

bezanson@adobe.COM (Brian Bezanson) (12/01/89)

In article <226@cvbnet.Prime.COM> schapman@gouda.uucp (Scott Chapman {x6088}) writes:
>I have head that there are problems getting the Adobe Type Manager
>to work with Microsoft Word 4.0. As I understand it Word does not
>support fractional fonts.

Word does support fractional widths, but not when the Imagewriter driver is
selected. There is a patch to fix this problem that was posted on CompuServe
and here (several times - once yesterday). ATM and Word do work, but the
spacing, especially w/o fractional widths can be undesirable.

>Does anyone know if they (Microsoft or Adobe)
>are planning any fixes to this or if there are any work-arounds?

I can't really comment on this except to say that users should send in their
reg cards and they'll here from Adobe when any changes are done. Adobe is
working on every problem reported by the users.

Hope that answers your question.
--
Brian Bezanson                                          bezanson@adobe.com
Adobe Systems Incorporated           The opinions expressed above are my