[comp.sys.mac] Is Fullwrite dead? Well, it's been coughin' up blood all year...

moriarty@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Meyer) (12/01/89)

In article <30464@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu> kitchel@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (Sid Kitchel) writes:
>carter@portia.Stanford.EDU (Thomas J. Carter) writes:
>
>>Does anyone have ANY idea when Fullwrite v2.0 will show its face?
>>Are we looking at 6 months or more than a year?  If someone knows
>>anything factual, please post it.  If it's just a rumor then it's
>>probably better to send me mail.
>
>	I recently saw a presentation by Ashton-Tate's sales force. We
>were told to expect FWP 2.0 in the coming Spring. Luckily, FWP has
>never been late for a delivery -- so we can COUNT on this prediction!!

We're talking implied :-) here, I think.  I've had FWP since it's release,
and brother, that thing made the B-1 Bomber look like an on-time project...

I'd like to know when 2.0 is supposed to be out, too.  I've seen two
Ashton-Tate presentations in the last two years, and each promised a 2.0
relase within eight months of the lecture.  All we've gotten since then is
1.1, whose major goal seems to be selling A-T foreign language dictionaries.
Frankly, I've had all the vague promises from Ashton-Late that I can
stomach, and after reading Stephen Levy's article in MacWorld on the state
of A-T's now-defunct Macintosh division, I find myself with an acute lack of
confidence in Ashton-Tate, and a word processor which takes seconds to
backspace over characters, and still has to catch up to me when I'm typing
on long documents -- and this with a Mac SE/30!

I still use FWP over Word 4.0; I like the interface better than anything
I've seen before Framemaker 2.0 arrived for the Sun workstations last week.
(NICE job, Frame!  Talk about listening to your users...)  But after all the
time I've spent waiting for "just-around-the-corner" updates, all the time I
spent writing up bug/problem lists to A-T (once, at their request) which
apparently disappeared into a black hole, all the reports of half-assed
cutbacks in the Macintosh division at A-T, and all the marketting promises
I've been told over and over and over again... I've had it.  Some of you can
probably remember me championing FullWrite in this group over the last
couple of years.  I *still* think it's a hell of a program -- the design,
with the exception of some graphics placement problems, is one of the best
I've ever seen -- but the performance is atrocious, and I don't feel
comfortable investing time and effort into a program whose company support
is so minimal.  I've got documents I'll need to open in the future, and I'd
like to have a reasonable shot at the chance of the word processor that
created them still existing then.

Enough is enough.  I figure that if FWP 2.0 hasn't arrived by March, then
it's time to convert all my FWP files to MacWrite 4.5, try out Nisus (hey, I
use GNU Emacs -- how hard can it be?), or, at worst, bite the bullet and
re-learn Word 4.0.  (Maybe Frame 2.0 for the Mac will be out, though I'd
wonder how well it works without System 7.0's virtual memory.)  If it isn't
out by then, time to switch the tri-corder off and pronounce, "It's dead,
Jim."

                           "But Alex, I don't want to
                            be rich for the same
                            reason as other men."
                                                     "Not for the cars, the
                                                      houses, the women?"
                           "Oh, I guess it is the
                            same reason."

                                        Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer
INTERNET:     moriarty@tc.fluke.COM
Manual UUCP:  {uw-beaver, sun, microsoft, hplsla, uiucuxc}!fluke!moriarty
CREDO:        You gotta be Cruel to be Kind...

>>	I recently saw a presentation by Ashton-Tate's sales force. We
>>were told to expect FWP 2.0 in the coming Spring. Luckily, FWP has
>>never been late for a delivery -- so we can COUNT on this prediction!!

Well, when FWP first came out, I was told that 2.0 would be out in the fall
[they'd asked me to be a beta tester]. Then, in the fall, I was told it'd be
out in April, and 1.1 would be out in December. Then, 1.1 actually made it
out, and they were talking September again. Now, they're talking Spring
again.

So far, they're right on schedule, assuming you realize they never mentioned
years. I figure 2.0 will be out whenever it'll be out. Or maybe not; I'm not
sure I care. FWP is 85% of the perfect word processor, but I"m tired of
waiting for the rest -- I'm comfortable with Word 4, and it'll have to
convince me it's worth switching. The missing 15% is enough to keep me from
using it, unlike Jeff (I spend too much time moving lots of text into
Pagemaker and back and forth to Unix boxes, and Fullwrite makes both of
those a hassle).

I'm personally tired of searching for the grail of the perfect word
processor. I'd rather spend my time writing and using it than constantly
learning new command sets and quirks. Word is Good Enough and I'm used to
it, and so something will have to be really neat to make me take a second
look. When/IF FWP 2.0 comes out, we'll see. But I"m not losing any time,
energy or productivity waiting for it.

--

Chuq Von Rospach   <+>   chuq@apple.com   <+>   [This is myself speaking]

When it comes to matters ourside your specialties, you are consistently and
brilliantly stupid [....] with respect to matters you haven't studied and
have had no experience basing your opinions on casual gossip [....] and
plain misinformation -- unsuspected because you haven't attempted to verify it.
	-- Robert Heinlein to J.W. Campbell, Jr. 1941