[comp.sys.mac] CommToolbox, LAT, and LocalTalk

mithomas@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Michael Thomas Niehaus) (12/01/89)

Here's a simple question that I hope someone can answer:

Will you be able to use the LAT connection tool (with the CommToolbox) over
LocalTalk through the Apple Internet Router to the Ethernet (DECnet)?  If not,
what about through a Fastpath/Gatorbox/Ethergate?

Will any of this change with AppleTalk for VMS 2.0?  (Like maybe support for
DECwindows over LocalTalk to the VMS system?)  And when will we see MacX?

-Michael

--
Michael Niehaus        UUCP: <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee}!bsu-cs!mithomas
Apple Student Rep      ARPA:  mithomas@bsu-cs.bsu.edu

alan@goofy.Apple.COM (Alan Mimms) (12/02/89)

In article <10352@bsu-cs.bsu.edu>, mithomas@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Michael
Thomas Niehaus) writes:
> Here's a simple question that I hope someone can answer:
>
> Will you be able to use the LAT connection tool (with the CommToolbox) over
> LocalTalk through the Apple Internet Router to the Ethernet (DECnet)?
If not,
> what about through a Fastpath/Gatorbox/Ethergate?

No.  The problem is that the LAT protocol is DEC-proprietary.  Some
vendors have
managed to get licenses to the LAT specs -- others have reverse-engineered it.
(Apple is in the former category.)  LAT requires a direct EtherNet
connection --
if you don't have an EtherNet device on your Macintosh, the LAT tool won't work
for you.  We're not planning any gateway software at this time that I know of.

> Will any of this change with AppleTalk for VMS 2.0?  (Like maybe support for
> DECwindows over LocalTalk to the VMS system?)

DECwindows over LocalTalk will work just fine when MacX ships with the first
release of the Apple-DEC Alliance product (called something like VAX/VMS
Services
for Macintosh -- this week at least).  This planned for "sometime in
1990."  Sorry
I can't give a more specific date...

> And when will we see MacX?

MacX is being beta-qualified right now.  The final version, including pretty
documentation that takes forever to be produced and manufactured, is presently
planned for around the middle of 1990 for the computer-store
and direct from Apple version.  (Sorry for the delays -- we're all
dancing as fast
as we can!)  The Apple-Direct version will contain most of the stuff you'll
need for DECwindows also.  The ONLY difference between this version and the one
you get from DEC will be the documentation (addition of DEC-oriented stuff),
possibly some more connection tools in the DEC version, and some
DECwindows fonts
which we can't sell because DEC owns or licenses them.

> -Michael
>
> --
> Michael Niehaus        UUCP: <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee}!bsu-cs!mithomas
> Apple Student Rep      ARPA:  mithomas@bsu-cs.bsu.edu
> Ball State University  AppleLink: ST0374 (from UUCP:
st0374@applelink.apple.com)

Alan Mimms                                      My opinions are generally
Communications Product Development Group        pretty worthless, but
Apple Computer                                  they *are* my own...
"The company has new jobs and Jobs has a new company" -- Harry Anderson