[comp.sys.mac] MacConnection still having troubles

moriarty@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Meyer) (11/29/89)

Just ordered STRATEGIC CONQUEST and MORIARTY'S REVENGE ('Tis the season, and
all that...) from MacConnection; they're still having problems with their
ordering system, it appears; my order probably won't be shipped off until
Thursday.  However, outside of computer glitches, they were their usual
polite selves -- told me about the delay upfront, and asked if I still
wanted to order.  I've had so much good luck (including returns and
consistent on-time deliveries) with them before that I am loathe to give
them up while they're going through Upgrade Blues.  If it were a priority
matter, maybe I would temporarily switch; but I guess good service over a
long period of time does tend to breed customer loyalty.  At least with me...

                           "You're in worse shape that you look!  You're
                            quoting Dan Quayle."
---
                                        Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer
INTERNET:     moriarty@tc.fluke.COM
Manual UUCP:  {uw-beaver, sun, microsoft, hplsla, uiucuxc}!fluke!moriarty
CREDO:        You gotta be Cruel to be Kind...

isle@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Ken Hancock) (11/30/89)

In article <12827@fluke.COM> moriarty@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Meyer) writes:
>However, outside of computer glitches, they were their usual
>polite selves -- told me about the delay upfront, and asked if I still
>wanted to order.

That's the key to MacConnection.  They let you know up front.  I've
ordered from other places and had to go through the hastle of calling
only to be told "It shipped yesterday."  "Oh, it'll ship out in tomorrow's
mail."  "Gee, yesterday I was told it shipped out the day before...
what the %$#&@! is going on?"

Unless it's a rush, I'll let MacConnection have my business and wait
a couple of days...

Ken

--
Ken Hancock '90            | DISCLAIMER: I'm graduating and looking for
Consultant                 |             a job, so I'll stand by my words.

pierce@radius.UUCP (Pierce T. Wetter III) (11/30/89)

moriarty@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Meyer) writes:

>Just ordered STRATEGIC CONQUEST and MORIARTY'S REVENGE ('Tis the season, and
>all that...) from MacConnection; they're still having problems with their
>ordering system, it appears; my order probably won't be shipped off until
>Thursday.  However, outside of computer glitches, they were their usual
>polite selves -- told me about the delay upfront, and asked if I still
>wanted to order.  I've had so much good luck (including returns and
>consistent on-time deliveries) with them before that I am loathe to give
>them up while they're going through Upgrade Blues.  If it were a priority
>matter, maybe I would temporarily switch; but I guess good service over a
>long period of time does tend to breed customer loyalty.  At least with me...

   I called them today as well and found out a little more info:

   Computer system is up, but they lost a week so shipping is
 backlogged one day.

   NEW FEATURE of computer system is that you get a PERMANENT number to use
 for the three thousand questions they always ask you. Now if they would just
 put it on a business card and ship it with my order...

   I ordered Puzzle Something or other, the new game from the guy who wrote fools
 revenge, and was going to order Halls of Montezuma but they were out, so I called
 Mac Zone who said they had it in stock. (Loyalty means I call MC first, but after
 that they're all game.) MC called me back later because MasterDorks didn't approve
 my purchase, but McZone hasn't yet. Does this mean that McZone doesn't get
 confirmation on small orders, or does it mean they aren't ready to ship my stuff
 yet? Hmmm. More on this later, maybe.

Pierce

P.S. What was the real reason you got moriarty's Revenge? (looking at your mail
address)

henry@chinet.chi.il.us (Henry C. Schmitt) (11/30/89)

In article <17422@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> isle@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Ken Hancock) writes:
>In article <12827@fluke.COM> moriarty@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Meyer) writes:
>>However, outside of computer glitches, they were their usual
>>polite selves -- told me about the delay upfront, and asked if I still
>>wanted to order.
>
>That's the key to MacConnection.  They let you know up front.  I've
>ordered from other places and had to go through the hastle of calling
>only to be told "It shipped yesterday."  "Oh, it'll ship out in tomorrow's
>mail."  "Gee, yesterday I was told it shipped out the day before...
>what the %$#&@! is going on?"
>
>Unless it's a rush, I'll let MacConnection have my business and wait
>a couple of days...

I just placed an order with MacConnection today.  They didn't seem
to be having any problems with the new computers (but they couldn't
pull up my profile from an old order number, it seems they didn't
transfer that).  They did say that a number of the items were
backordered about a week and would ship then.

On the other side, my wife made an order on Monday with Icon
Review (they carry something MacC doesn't).  They told her that all
the items were in and would ship, but when the package arrived one
item was listed as backordered!  Add on the fact that they like
add-on prices, the [big] price in the catalog doesn't include
shipping (it's in tiny print next to the main price) and then they
tack on a $3 handling charge!

MacC definitely gets my vote; total the prices, add $3 s&h and it
will be there the next day or they'll tell you otherwise when you
order.
--
  H3nry C. Schmitt     | CompuServe: 72275,1456  (Rarely)
 Royal Inn of Yoruba   | UUCP: Henry@chinet.chi.il.us  (Best Bet)

cramer@sun.com (Sam Cramer) (12/01/89)

>On the other side, my wife made an order on Monday with Icon
>Review (they carry something MacC doesn't).  They told her that all
>the items were in and would ship, but when the package arrived one
>item was listed as backordered!  Add on the fact that they like
>add-on prices, the [big] price in the catalog doesn't include
>shipping (it's in tiny print next to the main price) and then they
>tack on a $3 handling charge!

I've never ordered from them, but everything I've heard about "Icon Review"
has been negative.  I'd avoid them.

I've ordered from, and have been happy with, MacConnection, MacZone, and
MacWarehouse.   Of the three, I like MacConnection the best, but they don't
always have the item I'm looking for.

I've also had very good experience ordering bulk Sony floppies from
Diskette Connection.  They have the best prices I've seen, and were
quite prompt in processing my orders.

Sam

barry@primerd.prime.com (12/02/89)

I second the recommendations of MacConnection and Diskette Gazette.  On several
occasions I've ordered an item from MacConnection that was out of stock.
Every time this has been happened, they've given me a date when they expected
to have the item back in stock and, every time, I've received the item well
before the promised date!  Diskette Gazette is good for bulk disk orders -
the low prices make up for fact that shipping is > $3 for next day delivery.
Barry Wolman                      | barry@s66.prime.com
Principal Technical Consultant    | 500 Old Connecticut Path
Prime Computer                    | Framingham, MA 01701
                                  | 508/626-1700, ext. 4187
Nothing in this posting reflects an official position of Prime Computer.