[comp.sys.mac] Server Software Bombs

sr2b+@andrew.cmu.edu (Samuel Joseph Robb) (12/03/89)

I'm using the AppleShare file server software (AppleShare Admin &
AShareFileSrv), and it's worked fine for me so far - except that, once
or twice, I've run into inits and/or cdevs that the software just doesn't
get along with, which results in a system error.  Can anybody send me a list
of inits/cdevs (partial or otherwise) that do this, so I can avoid them in the
future (or at least avoid them when I run my server.)

Thanks,

-Samrobb
-sr2b+@andrew.cmu.edu

truesdel@ics.uci.edu (Scott Truesdell) (12/03/89)

sr2b+@andrew.cmu.edu (Samuel Joseph Robb) writes:

>I'm using the AppleShare file server software (AppleShare Admin &
>AShareFileSrv), and it's worked fine for me so far - except that, once
>or twice, I've run into inits and/or cdevs that the software just doesn't
>get along with, which results in a system error.  Can anybody send me a list
>of inits/cdevs (partial or otherwise) that do this, so I can avoid them in the
>future (or at least avoid them when I run my server.)

I'm a little confused. Why do you run odd INITs on a server anyway?
I don't even run a screen saver on my servers that have screens; I
just turn down the brightness knob. Besides AppleShare and Responder,
I don't think I run ANY INITs on my servers. What am I missing?

  --scott

--
Scott Truesdell

Bill_W_Michling@cup.portal.com (12/04/89)

>I'm using the AppleShare file server software (AppleShare Admin &
>AShareFileSrv), and it's worked fine for me so far - except that, once
>or twice, I've run into inits and/or cdevs that the software just doesn't
>get along with, which results in a system error.  Can anybody send me a list
>of inits/cdevs (partial or otherwise) that do this, so I can avoid them in th
>future (or at least avoid them when I run my server.)

We have been using AppleShare File server for sometime and have had no
system bombs as you have mentioned. We have kept the system on the server
as virgin as possible with the exception of AppleShare Print Server and
QuickMail which all work fine.

In summary, keep the Server sytem as clean as possible.

Hope this helps.