[net.wanted] C compiler for IBM /370 wanted

dietrich@cernvax.UUCP (Wiegandt) (03/08/85)

We recently got a request from the Central Research Institute for Physics in Budapest,
Hungary, for a pointer to any vendor of a C compiler to run under IBM 360/OS and/or
IBM 370 VS1 and VM/CMS.
I believe that they would not want or would not be able to run UTS or IX/370 under
VM on their machine just to get a C compiler.
If anyone can help, please send mail to {seismo,decvax}!mcvax!cernvax!dietrich.
I shall forward your reply to Hungary.

Dietrich Wiegandt
CERN-DD-Division
CH-1211 GENEVA
Switzerland

rhbartels@watcgl.UUCP (Richard Bartels) (03/11/85)

In article <138@cernvax.UUCP> dietrich@cernvax.UUCP (Dietrich WIEGANDT) writes:

>We recently got a request from the
>Central Research Institute for Physics in Budapest, Hungary,
>for a pointer to any vendor of a C compiler to run under IBM 360/OS
>and/or >IBM 370 VS1 and VM/CMS.

Note that the U.S. Govt. restricts the export of technology to
certain countries.  Has anyone checked whether software systems
fall under that restriction?  If so, what systems?  What countries?

msb@lsuc.UUCP (Mark Brader) (03/12/85)

Richard Bartels (rhbartels@watcgl.UUCP) adds:

> Note that the U.S. Govt. restricts the export of technology to
> certain countries.

The interesting thing is that the second posting is from Canada.

Mark Brader, Toronto, Canada
Serious followups should perhaps go to net.politics.

dave@lsuc.UUCP (David Sherman) (03/12/85)

Sorry, Mark, but U.S. government restrictions do indeed
find their way into Canada. Our UNIX source license, for
example, contains an explicit undertaking by the Law Society
not to export any of the licensed software to certain countries
"without the prior written consent of the Office of Export
Adminstration of the U.S. Department of Commerce". So while
U.S. law has no force in Canada, it causes our contract with
a U.S. organization to incorporate some of its requirements.

Dave Sherman
The Law Society of Upper Canada
Toronto
--
{utzoo pesnta nrcaero utcs hcr}!lsuc!dave
{allegra decvax ihnp4 linus}!utcsri!lsuc!dave

root@bu-cs.UUCP (Barry Shein) (03/15/85)

I know of two C compilers for the IBM/370:

	1. A PCC from Bell Labs which we run here at B.U.
	Call Bell for availability. My suspicion is you would
	have to have e or essentially be eligible for a UNIX
	source license (the fact that it is a 370 does *not*
	exclude this, speak to bell.)

	2. A company called RIS (they make a data base system
	called ORACLE) in California. They sell a C compiler,
	it isn't cheap but may have advantages that make it
	worthwhile (support, they use it for their DB sys so
	it probably is pretty good.)

The Bell PCC is 'good', not great. For example, array declarations
are limited to 4096 bytes (cuz of base/displacement) although
I just malloc() larger things at start-up and it works fine.
There are a few small bugs that require similar 'hacks' but
nothing intolerable. I remember some problem with returning
a float so we had to put defs in <math.h> that went something like:

float *_sin(x) ;
#define sin(x) (*_sin(x))

no big problem, just a nuisance (more a documentation problem
as you explain these workarounds over and over again.)

On the other hand, if you like C it really is C, we use it a *lot*!

	-Barry Shein, Boston University

ron@brl-tgr.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) (03/16/85)

> 	2. A company called RIS (they make a data base system
> 	called ORACLE) in California. They sell a C compiler,
> 	it isn't cheap but may have advantages that make it
> 	worthwhile (support, they use it for their DB sys so
> 	it probably is pretty good.)

BULLSHIT.  The company is called RSI and it sucks.  We have compiled
a list of over one hundred serious and not so serious bugs.  They include
not being able to ever reuse a local symbol, the fact that if you declare
a variable that has the same name as some assembler symbol (like R12) the
compiler does not detect the problem.  Performance is terrible as well.
The support is a joke.  They are not interested in supporting the compiler
nor fixing any of these bugs.  The compiler implementor was tired of hearing
from us.  It was never intended that this be used as a product.  They wrote
it so they could port the database (which is no bargain either) to the IBM.
They can live with the idiosyncracies of the compiler long enough to get
Oracle compiled, but you can't do any real work with it.  It was an entire
waste of two thousand dollars.

-Ron

root@bu-cs.UUCP (Barry Shein) (03/17/85)

[Reference to my reference to RSI 'C' compiler for IBM/370 and warning that
it is lousy]

Just to clarify. I have never used it, I was only guessing when I
assumed it might be good to look at as they used it. We use the
AT&T compiler and are quite happy with it. Thanks to those who
used this RSI 'C' and were able to offer more experienced opinions
than my own. It sounds like it is a loser...call AT&T.

	-Barry Shein, Boston University

[There was also a summary of data-bases in one of the groups and that
seemed to indicate that RSI's ORACLE DB sys is lousy also]

josh@v1.UUCP (Josh Knight) (03/17/85)

> I know of two C compilers for the IBM/370:

There are at least two more:

(1. There is a C compiler from Waterloo for IBM 370's.  We're still in
the process of getting it, but I've seen favorable commentary on VMSHARE
(an electronic conference about VM/CMS on TYMSHARE connected with the
IBM users group, SHARE).  Karl Geiger (karl@uscvm.BITNET) provided the
following information in <6142@brl-tgr.ARPA> in this group a while
ago, the address is:

	WATCOM
	Computer Systems Group
	University of Waterloo
	158 University Avenue
	Ontario, Canada N2L 3E9

It costs $1800/year with a 50% educational discount available.

(2. Whitesmiths apparently also sells a 370 C compiler for about $5K.
The reviews on this beast have been mixed (I've never seen it).

> 	1. A PCC from Bell Labs which we run here at B.U.
> 	Call Bell for availability. My suspicion is you would
> 	have to have e or essentially be eligible for a UNIX
> 	source license (the fact that it is a 370 does *not*
> 	exclude this, speak to bell.)

I believe the 370 C compiler license is separate from any Unix
license.  Don't remember the price.

> float *_sin(x) ;
> #define sin(x) (*_sin(x))
>
> no big problem, just a nuisance (more a documentation problem
> as you explain these workarounds over and over again.)

I would call this a bug in the compiler.  I suspect anyone who tried
to write scientific/engineering code would as well.

The opinions expressed (or implied) are my own, not those of my employer.

		Josh Knight, IBM T.J. Watson Research
    josh at YKTVMX on BITNET, josh.yktvmx.ibm on CSnet,
    ...!philabs!v1!josh