[comp.sys.mac] Word 4: problems with columns and footnotes

jdsb@occrsh.ATT.COM (John_Babcock) (12/01/89)

     My Father in Law is having problems with MS Word 4.  Could someone
help me?

1. How can I have two columns on the first page, and a single column
on page two?

2. How can I get my footnotes to align right from page to page?

If #1 is obvious, please tell me.  I know I don't have much info about
#2, but if anyone has any handy hints, I would appreciate them.  Thanks!
|o|"My opinions are my own"   "You know, it's at times like this, when I'm  |o|
|o| John Babcock               trapped in a Vogon airlock with a man from   |o|
|o| AT&T Network Systems, OKC  Betelgeuse, and about to die of asphyxiation |o|
|o| jdsb@occrsh.ATT.COM        in deep space that I really wish I'd listened|o|
\o| att!occrsh!jdsb            to what my mother told me when I was young." |o|
  \_  ____/ \       ________________________________  ______________________|o|
    \/       \___  /                                \/
                 \/

xdab@tank.uchicago.edu (David Baird) (12/03/89)

In article <928@occrsh.ATT.COM> jdsb@occrsh.ATT.COM (John_Babcock) writes:

>     My Father in Law is having problems with MS Word 4.  Could someone
>help me?
>
>1. How can I have two columns on the first page, and a single column
>on page two?

In order to make the second page print a single column, you have to
separate the two blocks of text with a section break, set to start a new
page. In the second section, reset the option concerning number of
columns back to one.

	David Baird

neilh@microsoft.UUCP (Neil Hoopman) (12/05/89)

In article <928@occrsh.ATT.COM> jdsb@occrsh.ATT.COM (John_Babcock) writes:
>1. How can I have two columns on the first page, and a single column
>on page two?

The number of columns can be changed from section to section.  To
format a document the way that you mention, put the insertion point
at the place that you want the first page to end.  Then press
Command-Enter ( on the keypad ).  This inserts a section break.  Make
sure that your insertion point is on the second page and go to
Format/Section to change the number of columns back to 1.

You will be able to see this in Page View or Print Preview.

>2. How can I get my footnotes to align right from page to page?

If you want to make all the footnotes in a document right aligned, put
the insertion point into one of the footnotes and select Define Styles
from the Format menu.  Select the style "Footnote Text".  Then, click
on the right align icon on the ruler, or press Command-Shift-R.  Click
Ok.  What you've done is redefined your "Footnote Text" style so that
it will always be right aligned.

You might note that if you have already manually applied another
justification to the paragraph, it will override the style.  If you
notice some paragraphs that aren't right aligned, click in them and reapply
the "Footnote Text" style.

Hope this information helps!

------------ Neil Hoopman - Microsoft -- uunet!microsoft!neilh -------------
    "Carpe Diem.  Seize the day.  Make your lives extraordinary."  - DPS
------------- Microsoft owns the keyboard.  I own the fingers. -------------

silb@tank.uchicago.edu (N.H. Silbert) (12/05/89)

In article <928@occrsh.ATT.COM> jdsb@occrsh.ATT.COM (John_Babcock) writes:
>     My Father in Law is having problems with MS Word 4.  Could someone
>help me?
>1. How can I have two columns on the first page, and a single column
>on page two?
>2. How can I get my footnotes to align right from page to page?

	Well, what your looking for to answer no. 1 is the section menu
under the format (I think section).  It lets you specify section characteristicsTo one section from another you should hold down command enter after the body
of the text for the first section.  In that section you specify two columns
(there's a little box in the lower left hand corner) and the distance between
the columns - word will automatically compute it for you.
	After pressing return and specifying the characteristics for the first
section.  Position the cursor somewhere after the section break (it should look
like a double-dotted line).  Go once again to the section menu (which I guess
again is under the format menu) and specify one column and that the new section
starts on a seperate page.  This will seperate the two sections from each other
onto different pages.  It's really alot easier than it sounds.
	Question number 2 is even easier.  All you have to do is hit command-R
while you are in the footnotes window.  Click the justify right icon.  You may
want to set this as the default for the footers style.  To do that you should
go to the define styles option (it used to be command-t), select the style in
this case footnotes and then type shift-command-R.  Then click define.
	Goodluck.
	Most of this info is from older word versions, it shouldn't have changedtoo much.
Byebye
--
	Byebye
Neal Harrison