[comp.sys.mac] Print spoolers... what's the best?

david@oahu.cs.ucla.edu (David Dantowitz) (11/28/89)

Any recommendations on print spoolers?  Will System 7 have a print spooler?
(Note: no hard disk...)

(Getting tired of waiting for the printer)

Thanks
David Dantowitz
david@cs.ucla.edu             "Curb your dogma"

jeff@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Jeffrey M White) (11/29/89)

In article <29527@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU> david@oahu.cs.ucla.edu (David Dantowitz) writes:

>Any recommendations on print spoolers?  Will System 7 have a print spooler?
>(Note: no hard disk...)
>
>(Getting tired of waiting for the printer)

  I believe 7.0 is supposed to allow Print Monitor to work with all types
of printers, not just Laserwriters as it does now.  However, this would also
seem to imply the user of MultiFinder, and the creation of a Spool Folder and
files on the boot disk, so I would have to imagine that it's use on a
floppy only system (unless you got a REAL small System and put it on a HD
disk) would be just about next to impossible.

					Jeff White
					University of Pennsylvania
					jeff@eniac.seas.upenn.edu

Fabian@cup.portal.com (Fabian Fabe Ramirez) (11/30/89)

David,

Consider SuperMac's SuperSpool for direct connect ImageWriters or
SuperLaserSpool for direct connect or AppleTalk ImageWriters and LaserWriters.

Fabian Ramirez
SuperMac Technology

fabian@cup.portal.com
sun!cup.portal.com!fabian

steve@uswmrg2.UUCP (Steve Martin) (12/05/89)

>   I believe 7.0 is supposed to allow Print Monitor to work with all types
> of printers, not just Laserwriters as it does now.  However, this would also
> seem to imply the user of MultiFinder, and the creation of a Spool Folder and
> files on the boot disk, so I would have to imagine that it's use on a
> floppy only system (unless you got a REAL small System and put it on a HD
> disk) would be just about next to impossible.
>
> 					Jeff White

Yes it does imply the use of MultiFinder. In fact Apple has already announced
that System 7.0 will be MultiFinder only.  No more UniFinder!  One of the
reasons they are going to require 2MB to run 7.0.

Steven Martin                        | Nothing I say can be held against
U S West Marketing Resources Group   | Me or my employer!
Aurora, Colorado                     |            -Anonymous