[comp.sys.mac] Imagewriter trouble & possible replacement & driver question

stevel@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Steve Ligett) (12/02/89)

In article <6383@shlump.nac.dec.com> long@rainbo.enet.dec.com (Richard C. Long) writes:
>In article <1989Nov27.195051.20662@cs.rochester.edu>, bukys@cs.rochester.edu (Liudvikas Bukys) writes...
>>OK, so buy a Seikosha SP-1000AP from MidWest Micro-Peripherals ay 800-423-8215,
>[deleted]
>
>Fine.  Is this an equivalent to the Imagewriter II?  Any potential problems?

The local elementary school has been loooking for cheap printers to hook
to the cheap 512KEs they bought.  I suggested that they buy a Seikosha
to try out.  It's a slow Imagewriter I clone.  The school tells me it takes
twice as long for the Seikosha to print a page - I think they said 5
minutes (I don't know what they were printing).

Also I saw someone printing something on it that ran off the end of the
page -- perhaps the vertical spacing isn't right either??  I'll try to
check next week.

Does anyone know how to make the Imagewriter driver print
bidirectionally in "faster" mode?
--
steve.ligett@dartmouth.edu or ...!dartvax!steve.ligett

ogden@fusion.cad.mcc.com (Deene Ogden) (12/06/89)

In article <17519@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> stevel@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Steve Ligett) writes:
>In article <6383@shlump.nac.dec.com> long@rainbo.enet.dec.com (Richard C. Long) writes:
>>In article <1989Nov27.195051.20662@cs.rochester.edu>, bukys@cs.rochester.edu (Liudvikas Bukys) writes...
>>>OK, so buy a Seikosha SP-1000AP from MidWest Micro-Peripherals ay 800-423-8215,
>>[deleted]
>>
>>Fine.  Is this an equivalent to the Imagewriter II?  Any potential problems?
>
>The local elementary school has been loooking for cheap printers to hook
>to the cheap 512KEs they bought.  I suggested that they buy a Seikosha
>to try out.  It's a slow Imagewriter I clone.  The school tells me it takes

I bought a Epson AP80 to use with my 512 Mac several years ago.  I don't know if
it is still available, but its a good printer and doesn't seem slow to me,
although I have never compared its speed with an Imagewriter.  I paid $275
for it new from ComputerCraft in Austin.  The only drawback I have found
with the AP80 is that it takes a unique ribbon and they cost about twice
the normal Epson ribbon.

Deene Ogden.