[comp.sys.mac] Mac modem cables recipe

rcstfdb@eutrc3.urc.tue.nl (Frank WGM de Bruyn) (12/05/89)

I just did some work on modem cables for the Mac 512KE and Plus, thought
that a pinout recipe could be of use to you "netlanders". Here goes:

mini DIN-8 connector (male)	DB-25 connector (male)
Mac Plus			RS232 modem

1 (HSKo=handshake out)		20,4,8
2 (HSKi=handshake in)
3 (TxD-=Transmit Data)		2
4 (Ground)			1,7
5 (RxD-=Receive Data)		3
6 (TxD+=Transmit Data)
7 (Not connected)
8 (RxD+=Receive Data)		1,7

Warning: soldering the MacPlus mini DIN-8 connector requires a steady
hand and considerable patience because the pins are extremely close.

DB-9 connector (male)		DB-25 connector (male)
Mac 512KE			RS232 modem

1 (Ground)			1
2
3 (TxD-=Transmit Data)		7
4 (Ground)
5 (RxD-=Receive Data)		2
6 (TxD+=Transmit Data)		20,4,8
7
8 (HSK=Handshake)		7
9 (RxD-=Receive Data)		3

Use 6 or more lead shielded cable (max. 60 ft.) to make the connections.
Most manufacturers indicate the pin numbers on the connectors.

Frank W. de Bruyn,
Eindhoven University of Technology,
Email: rcstfdb@urc.tue.nl

rob@cs.mu.oz.au (Robert Wallen) (12/06/89)

In article <1303@eutrc3.urc.tue.nl> Frank WGM de Bruyn writes:

>mini DIN-8 connector (male)	DB-25 connector (male)
>Mac Plus			RS232 modem
>4 (Ground)			1,7
>8 (RxD+=Receive Data)		1,7

>DB-9 connector (male)		DB-25 connector (male)
>Mac 512KE			RS232 modem
>1 (Ground)			1

From too many years of making cables for connecting 'things' to 'other things'
I couldnt recommend wiring in pin 1 on the DB25 to the 'ground' on the other
end.  It aint really needed and causes all sorts of weird effects 'sometimes'
when you get ground differences between the two pieces of equipment if they
are located a reasonable distance apart (it bit me connecting Mac to a
Honeywell Datanet-8 front end processor in the next room)