[comp.sys.mac] connect a PC to a appletalk network

fang@dukempd.phy.duke.edu (Fang Zhong) (11/21/89)

	I have some postscript files generated on PC all the time.
I transferred them with floppy disk to a Mac IIcx, then print them
out on a laserprinter with SendPS.  The laserprinter is on an apple
talk network.
	Is there anyway that I can do all this directly?  Since I do
not have a Mac with my experiment, I have to wait for someone's
mercy to let me use his Mac.
	Thanks in advance.

--
	Fang Zhong				1-919-684-8247
	Duke University Dept. of Physics	fang@phy.duke.edu

poffen@molehill (Russ Poffenberger) (11/28/89)

In article <825@dukempd.phy.duke.edu> fang@dukempd.phy.duke.edu (Fang Zhong) writes:

>	I have some postscript files generated on PC all the time.
>I transferred them with floppy disk to a Mac IIcx, then print them
>out on a laserprinter with SendPS.  The laserprinter is on an apple
>talk network.
>	Is there anyway that I can do all this directly?  Since I do
>not have a Mac with my experiment, I have to wait for someone's
>mercy to let me use his Mac.
>	Thanks in advance.

You might want to look into TOPS. This is a package put out by a division of
Sun microsystems.
Here is the address, I don't have their number.

Sun Microsystems, TOPS division.
950 Marina Village Parkway
Alameda, Ca. 94501

1601 Technology Drive		CIS:	72401,276
San Jose, Ca. 95110
(408)437-5254
-------------------------
In a dictatorship, people suffer without complaining.
In a democracy, people complain without suffering.

vgopal@cbnewsc.ATT.COM (venu.p.gopal) (11/28/89)

!In article <825@dukempd.phy.duke.edu> fang@dukempd.phy.duke.edu (Fang Zhong) writes:
!>
!>	I have some postscript files generated on PC all the time.
!>I transferred them with floppy disk to a Mac IIcx, then print them
!>out on a laserprinter with SendPS.  The laserprinter is on an apple
!>talk network.
!>	Is there anyway that I can do all this directly?  Since I do
!>not have a Mac with my experiment, I have to wait for someone's
!>mercy to let me use his Mac.
!>	Thanks in advance.

Why not connect a serial cable from the PC to the laserprinter, switch
the printer from Appletalk to the serial port and send the files that way ?

Venu P. Gopal
att!ihuxy!vgopal

englandr@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Scott Englander) (12/02/89)

All you need is a PC-LocalTalk card that Apple makes.  It's under $150,
university price, and includes all the software you need to print text
or postscript files to any printer on you network.
--

                                               - Scott

ts@cup.portal.com (Tim W Smith) (12/06/89)

We've used TOPS to transfer files between our Macs and our IBM clones.
It works pretty well, but there are a couple things to watch out for.

First of all, they don't make it particularly easy to use LocalTalk
cards other than their own.  They say that it might work.

To use it with Apple's LocalTalk PC card, you need to run a program
that comes with the LocalTalk PC card called "compat" before you
run the LOADTOPS batch file.

I wish the TOPS manual had mentioned this.  Or the Apple manual, for
that matter.  If either did mention it and I missed it, then oops!

Secondly, TOPS has an annoying habit of swallowing the D: drive when
it is started.

The D: drive simply becomes an invalid drive.  There is a configuration
file that contains a list of drives, specifying which are floppies, which
are hard disks, and which are available.  By editing this to tell it that
D: was a hard drive ( by default it is marked as avaialable ) I was able
to sort of get it to stop making the PC forget about D:.

Again, I probably just missed it in the manual, but I wish there had been
something that explained this.

Other than these minor problems, TOPS seems to be a good way to go for
this sort of thing.

By the way, we ordered TOPS from MacConnection.  We called them at 4pm
Pacific Time.  That was 7pm where they are.

It was waiting for me when I got to work at 11am the next day.  That's
pretty damn good service!

							Tim Smith