[comp.sys.mac] Spoilers

mr2t+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Tod Rose) (12/02/89)

Working in a game-infested office has its benefits -- sooner or later,
somebody figures out the "cheat" key.  Below are the "cheats" for
Arkanoid and SimCity -- don't read on if you want to keep the challenge
in these games.  (However, do read on if you want to annoy your friends
with unreasonably high scores.)

*SPOILERS FOLLOW*

*SPOILERS FOLLOW*

In Arkanoid: Pause the game, then type the word "DSIMAGIC" on the
keyboard.  (This will also turn your sound off -- hit "A" again to turn
it back on.)  Now you control the "power pills" that drop -- hit the
corresponding letter on the keyboard to drop each pill at will.  Break
pills ("B") are triggered by the "W" key, as the "B" key sends the game
into "Boss" mode.

In SimCity, color version (I suppose it also works in b&w): Running out
of money?  Hold down the shift key and type the word "FUND" -- you will
instantly be $10,000 richer.  Warning: this can increase your chances of
having an earthquake.  Another trick; increase taxes radically in
December, collect the money in January, and then lower the tax rate
again.  The Sims don't notice that you're robbing them blind.

Have fun!

-mike

rsvp@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (R. Scott V. Paterson) (12/02/89)

In article <EZRiRo200Uh_02AFN_@andrew.cmu.edu> mr2t+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Tod Rose) writes:
>*SPOILERS FOLLOW*
>Another trick; increase taxes radically in
>December, collect the money in January, and then lower the tax rate
>again.  The Sims don't notice that you're robbing them blind.

As of version 1.1 of SimCity, you can no longer do this.

SIMULATION ENHANCEMENTS SIMCITY MACINTOSH VERSION 1.1

"*Banzai Taxation (turning the tax rate up to 20% in December and down
to 0% in January to rake in bucks and fool the voters) has been
eliminated.  The tax rate used is the average over the year.  It is still
possible to cheat on your taxes, but we won't tell you how."

-from the note enclosed with version 1.1 of SimCity

R. Scott V. Paterson
rsvp@dartmouth.edu

alex@grian.cps.altadena.ca.us (Alex Pournelle) (12/06/89)

mr2t+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Tod Rose) writes:

*FOLLOW-UP SPOILER FOLLOWS*

>In SimCity, color version (I suppose it also works in b&w): Running out
>of money?  Hold down the shift key and type the word "FUND" -- you will
>instantly be $10,000 richer.  Warning: this can increase your chances of
>having an earthquake.

Actually, you can do it two times in a row; if you do it three, you WILL
get an earthquake.  However--if you do it first, before you've started
your city...

Another hack, well, finesse: don't build a fire station until you really
need it.  Saves many bucks.

And remember that demand takes a while to satiate; building 7 blocks of
commercial flats in a jiffy will likely depress the price of real
estate...

I know one lady who got four churches in a row--being a practicing
Catholic, she left 'em.  Another guy in her office bulldozed three, and
saw housing demand go down as they were turned into "practical"
buildings...

Remember, guys, it's only a game!

Now, if I can just figure out how to get it working on my Spectre 128
GCR...

	Alex