[comp.sys.mac] Problem printing MS Word 4 document

SEK@PSUVM.psu.edu (Sonja Kueppers) (12/01/89)

Someone I know has been having a terrible time trying to print a page
they wrote in MS Word 4.  This page is the first page of a document which
uses two columns throughout.  On the top of the first column of the first
page, there is a graphic which was pasted in from a draw program.  The
entire document prints fine on an imagewriter, and looks perfectly ok in
page preview, but the LaserWriter won't print it correctly!  We are using
system 6.0.3, with version 5.2 of the LaserWriter software.  The problem
with printing is that the graphic, and the part of the second column which
is next to that graphic, are chopped off, and the page is put in the upper
left corner.  This problem occurs consistently with this particular page,
despite the fact that all the other pages print correctly.
Why is this happening???
If you need more information, just ask.  Oh, I forgot to mention that this
document is printed with the page orientation sideways.  However, we tried
printing it the other way, just for kicks, and the same problem occurred.
-Sonja
-------
-----------------------------Sonja Kueppers------------------------------
|SEK@PSUVM (bitnet)                 |USnail: Calder Square              |
|SEK@PSUVM.psu.edu                  |        PO Box 10510               |
|SEK%PSUVM@psuvax1.uucp             |        State College, PA 16805    |

SEK@PSUVM.psu.edu (Sonja Kueppers) (12/01/89)

Someone I know has been having a terrible time trying to print a page
they wrote in MS Word 4.  This page is the first page of a document which
uses two columns throughout.  On the top of the first column of the first
page, there is a graphic which was pasted in from a draw program.  The
entire document prints fine on an imagewriter, and looks perfectly ok in
page preview, but the LaserWriter IINTX won't print it correctly!  We are using
[...]

fleming@cup.portal.com (Stephen R Fleming) (12/02/89)

You aren't doing anything wrong.  This is a bug in Word 4.0 (and I expect to
see one of Bill Gates's fingers in the mail any day now).  I had something
similar happen and finally mailed a floppy to Redmond.  They looked at my file
and couldn't figure out what happened.

Work-around which I discovered:  fiddle with your settings for 'Show Hidden
Text', 'Print Hidden Text', and 'Use Fractional Widths'.  I don't remember
exactly what I did, but this fixed it for me.  Good luck!

+--------------------------+-------------------------------------------+
|  Stephen Fleming         | My employer doesn't pay for this account. |
|  fleming@cup.portal.com  | In fact, my employer doesn't even know    |
|  CI$:   76354,3176       | I'm here!  Disclaimer enough for any      |
|  Voice: (703) 847-7058   | network-aware lawyer-types, I hope...     |
+--------------------------+-------------------------------------------+

dbrown@apple.com (David Brown) (12/02/89)

In article <89334.204644SEK@PSUVM.BITNET> SEK@PSUVM.psu.edu (Sonja
Kueppers) writes:
> Someone I know has been having a terrible time trying to print a page
> they wrote in MS Word 4.  This page is the first page of a document which
> uses two columns throughout.  On the top of the first column of the first
> page, there is a graphic which was pasted in from a draw program.  The
> entire document prints fine on an imagewriter, and looks perfectly ok in
> page preview, but the LaserWriter IINTX won't print it correctly!  We
are using
> system 6.0.3, with version 5.2 of the LaserWriter software.  The problem
> with printing is that the graphic, and the part of the second column
which
> is next to that graphic, are chopped off, and the page is put in the
upper
> left corner.  This problem occurs consistently with this particular page,
> despite the fact that all the other pages print correctly.
> Why is this happening???

I've seen something very similar with printing a MacDraw II document that
contained a scanned graphic image pasted in.  The problem turned out to be
Print Monitor (are you running under MultiFinder) not having enough memory
- when I chose "About Finder" I could see that Print Monitor was using all
of its allocated memory and probably wanted more.  So I increased the
memory allocation for Print Monitor (located in the System Folder - choose
Get Info and increase the memory allocation) & rebooted, and things worked
fine.   (The first time, I only doubled the memory, and the document was
still printing wrong, but in a different place).

David Brown        415-649-4000
Orion Network Systems
(a subsidiary of Apple Computer)
1995 University Ave. Suite 350
Berkeley, CA 94704

pollock@ziggy.EDU (Wayne Pollock) (12/05/89)

Kueppers) writes:
> Someone I know has been having a terrible time trying to print a page
> they wrote in MS Word 4.  This page is the first page of a document which
> uses two columns throughout.  On the top of the first column of the first
> page, there is a graphic which was pasted in from a draw program.  The
> entire document prints fine on an imagewriter, and looks perfectly ok in
> page preview, but the LaserWriter IINTX won't print it correctly!  We
> are using ...

The problem is a know bug in Word 4; it is caused by trying to print
postscript in the first page of a document, and having background printing
enabled.  Either turn off backround printing or rearrange the order of the
pages in your document.  This was documented in the package that came with
word (perhaps in an errata sheet - I don't remember.)

Wayne Pollock (The MAD Scientist)	pollock@ziggy.usf.edu
Usenet:		...!{gatech!uflorida!}ziggy!pollock
GEnie:		W.POLLOCK

goz@cca.ucsf.edu (Goz Lyv) (12/07/89)

In article <1296@ziggy.EDU> pollock@ziggy.cmd.usf.edu.UUCP (Wayne Pollock) writes:
>The problem is a know bug in Word 4; it is caused by trying to print
>postscript in the first page of a document, and having background printing
>enabled.
I believe, from experience, that this problem has been solved with the new
LaserWriter 6.0, LaserPrep 6.0 and PrintMonitor 1.3 system files.
--
Goz Lyv, goz@vm.ucsf.edu, (415) 476-1388
UCSF Information Technology Services