[comp.sys.mac] ATM and GCC WriteMove printer

fozzard@tigger.colorado.edu (Richard Fozzard) (12/05/89)

Does anyone know if ATM will support the GCC WriteMove portable printer?

I would rather buy ATM's extra fonts than GCC's proprietary ones, since
I regularly print to postscript printers for final output.

If you have any other recommendations re: the WriteMove, please email
and I will summarize to the net if I get enough responses.

thanks, rich

Richard Fozzard					"Serendipity empowers"
University of Colorado/CIRES/NOAA/ERL/FSL
fozzard@boulder.colorado.edu                   (303)497-6011 or 444-3168

bezanson@adobe.COM (Brian Bezanson) (12/05/89)

In article <14528@boulder.Colorado.EDU> fozzard@tigger.colorado.edu (Richard Fozzard) writes:
>Does anyone know if ATM will support the GCC WriteMove portable printer?

It will when the "new" WriteMove drivers are available (version 2.3?). The
drivers for the GCC WriteMove and PLP are undergoing some changes (one of those
being support for ATM). The update should be available sometime soon from
rumors I've heard. For more info contact GCC.

--
Brian Bezanson                                          bezanson@adobe.com
Adobe Systems Incorporated           The opinions expressed above are my

robertt@hpvcfs1.HP.COM (Bob Taylor) (12/06/89)

The ATM documentation states that it doesn't work with the GCC Personal
Laser Printer.  Since the PLP driver and the WriteMove driver are nearly
identical apart from resolution, I would guess (although I never tried it)
that it won't work on the WriteMove or WriteImpact either.  I remember
seeing a posting from Adobe that Adobe and GCC were working on a fix, but
don't remember seeing a release date.

As far as the WriteMove is concerned, we had one here for testing.  It was
cute (good for the Portable?), but reeeeeal slow - much slower than an
ImageWriter.  I'd much rather use a DeskWriter a lot faster and 300DPI
(but then I'm biased).

bob taylor
DeskWriter Testing Coordinator

/* these comments are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of my employer */

bezanson@adobe.COM (Brian Bezanson) (12/07/89)

In article <780091@hpvcfs1.HP.COM> robertt@hpvcfs1.HP.COM (Bob Taylor) writes:
>The ATM documentation states that it doesn't work with the GCC Personal
>Laser Printer.  Since the PLP driver and the WriteMove driver are nearly
>identical apart from resolution, I would guess (although I never tried it)
>that it won't work on the WriteMove or WriteImpact either.  I remember
>seeing a posting from Adobe that Adobe and GCC were working on a fix, but
>don't remember seeing a release date.

GCC hasn't released the new driver yet, but I would assume it will be soon since
they announced two new printers (PLP II and WriteImpact) and I think I saw
some mention that they are ATM compatible. Since all the drivers are very
similar, and other GCC printer owners will want the envelope DA they have, an
upgrade seems likely in the near future.

Hope that gives some answer, I wish I could be more exact, but I'm not
GCC.
--

isle@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Ken Hancock) (12/07/89)

In article <780091@hpvcfs1.HP.COM> robertt@hpvcfs1.HP.COM (Bob Taylor) writes:
>The ATM documentation states that it doesn't work with the GCC Personal
>Laser Printer.  Since the PLP driver and the WriteMove driver are nearly
>identical apart from resolution, I would guess (although I never tried it)
>that it won't work on the WriteMove or WriteImpact either.

ATM does work with the WriteImpact.  Updates for the PLP and WriteMove
are in the works and should be released before the end of the year.

Ken

--
Ken Hancock '90            | DISCLAIMER: I'm graduating and looking for
Consultant                 |             a job, so I'll stand by my words.