[comp.sys.mac] Apple DTS tech stack?

mha@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Mark H. Anbinder) (12/04/89)

A few weeks ago someone mentioned a large HyperCard stack from Apple
DTS that provides technical support information.  Apparently this
is a 1.8 meg stack.  I would very much like a copy of this, but my
system no longer has this message available.  Can someone please tell
me where to find the stack?

Please DO NOT try to e-mail the stack to me.  I don't want to clog
the nets.  Please DO, however, e-mail me with possible sources for the
stack.  If anyone else is interested, let me know and I will post a
followup message with the information.

--
Mark H. Anbinder        ************************** mha@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu
BAKA Industries                                 ** (cornell!)biar!memory!mha

mjohnson@Apple.COM (Mark B. Johnson) (12/05/89)

In article <9385@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> mha@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (Mark H. Anbinder) writes:
>A few weeks ago someone mentioned a large HyperCard stack from Apple
>DTS that provides technical support information.  Apparently this
>is a 1.8 meg stack.  I would very much like a copy of this, but my
>system no longer has this message available.  Can someone please tell
>me where to find the stack?

The Technical Notes Stack is normally available from Apple.com, AppleLink,
and APDA, as well as the Apple monthly mailings to developers.  You can also
find copies on several other FTP and archive sites like SUMEX, Rascal, PUCC,
and SIMTEL-20.

However, you should not grab the current stack (V3.1) as we are about to
release a new and updated version in conjunction with the second version
of "Phil & Dave's Excellent CD."  Look for it within two weeks.

--
Mark B. Johnson                                            AppleLink: mjohnson
Developer Technical Support                         domain: mjohnson@Apple.com

"You gave your life to become the person you are right now.  Was it worth it?"
                                                         - Richard Bach, _One_

puklich@sparky.UUCP (Blayne Puklich) (12/05/89)

In article <9385@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> mha@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (Mark H. Anbinder) writes:
>A few weeks ago someone mentioned a large HyperCard stack from Apple
>DTS that provides technical support information.  Apparently this
>is a 1.8 meg stack.  I would very much like a copy of this, but my
>system no longer has this message available.  Can someone please tell
>me where to find the stack?

The stack I'm guessing you're talking about is the Tech Note stack.  This
is available at apple.com (IP address 130.43.2.2) in pub/dts/mac/tn.
Just today (or a few days ago) Apple released a new updated version of the
stack, which is also available there.

<a few ftp commands later...>

I just checked apple.com to see if this was right, and now I have found the
stack to be missing.  So, if you would like the previous version of the TN
stack, I have it at our site available via anonymous ftp in the directory
pub/mac/pub/programming/tn/tn.stack.  I have broken it up into roughly
260K chunks, which are more manageable to ftp and download.

When the new release of the stack is available, you should be able to find
it at apple.com, and I will have it at our site also.  Just a few postings
ago this was mentioned, so it should be available soon (hopefully today).
Hope this helps.

||+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++||
|| Blayne Puklich      nopuklic@Plains.NoDak.EDU  "I think I'm going       ||
|| NDSU Student ACM Vice-Chair                          bald..."           ||
|| North Dakota State University, Fargo, ND        -- Rush, from Caress    ||
|| (701) 237-4408                                     of Steel, 1975       ||
|| Damn it's cold up here in the Great White North!                        ||
||     Alternate address: puklich@Sparky.NoDak.EDU (Until Dec 7th).        ||
||-------------------------------------------------------------------------||

geoff@pmafire.UUCP (Geoff Allen) (12/06/89)

Mark B. Johnson (mjohnson@Apple.COM) writes:
>However, you should not grab the current stack (V3.1) as we are about to
>release a new and updated version in conjunction with the second version
>of "Phil & Dave's Excellent CD."  Look for it within two weeks.

Would it be possible for you to post it to comp.binaries.mac?  Those of
us without FTP access would sure appreciate it!

[Even more importantly, will Tech Note 31 (the infamous dogcow Tech
 Note, don't know if I've got the number right) still be there?]

--
Geoff Allen                  \  WINCO doesn't believe in Macs,
{uunet|bigtex}!pmafire!geoff  \  so of course these are my views.

mjohnson@Apple.COM (Mark B. Johnson) (12/07/89)

In article <887@pmafire.UUCP> geoff@pmafire.UUCP (Geoff Allen) writes:
>Mark B. Johnson (mjohnson@Apple.COM) writes:
>>However, you should not grab the current stack (V3.1) as we are about to
>>release a new and updated version in conjunction with the second version
>>of "Phil & Dave's Excellent CD."  Look for it within two weeks.
>
>Would it be possible for you to post it to comp.binaries.mac?  Those of
>us without FTP access would sure appreciate it!
>
>[Even more importantly, will Tech Note 31 (the infamous dogcow Tech
> Note, don't know if I've got the number right) still be there?]

When things are posted at Apple.com, I alert Roger Long so they can be posted
to comp.binaries.mac, so you can expect to see it shortly after we put the
stuff up on apple.com.

As far as Technical Note #31 goes...it is anyone's guess.