[comp.sys.mac] Just Enough Pascal: good for kids?

gt0818a@prism.gatech.EDU (Paul E. Robichaux) (12/07/89)

I have a fairly bright (compared to me, anyway) 11-year-old brother back home,
and I'd like to help him get started in programming. He's an avid mac user
now, although he mostly plays games and occasionally draws/paints/writes
stuff with it.

I use (and love!) Lightspeed Pascal; I was wondering about their "Just Enough
Pascal" tutorial package. I don't know how appropriate it is for an 11-year-old,
and I don't know of any other tutorial packages like that available.

If you use, and like, JEP, please let me know your evaluation of its age
range. If you know of any other general "intro to programming" tutorials
(ChipWits might do it, but I can't seem to find it anywhere.) response would
be very welcome.

Thanks!

-Paul

--
Paul E. Robichaux                |  Georgia Institute of Technology
(new .sig under construction)    |  GT PO Box 30818; Atlanta, GA 30332
                                 |  Internet: gt0818a@prism.gatech.edu
Disclaimer: GT won't admit undergrads have opinions, much less share them w/ me.

truesdel@ics.uci.edu (Scott Truesdell) (12/07/89)

gt0818a@prism.gatech.EDU (Paul E. Robichaux) writes:

>I have a fairly bright (compared to me, anyway) 11-year-old brother back home,
>and I'd like to help him get started in programming. He's an avid mac user
>now, although he mostly plays games and occasionally draws/paints/writes
>stuff with it.

>I use (and love!) Lightspeed Pascal; I was wondering about their "Just Enough
>Pascal" tutorial package. I don't know how appropriate it is for an 11-year-old,
>and I don't know of any other tutorial packages like that available.

I've worked through about half of "Just Enough Pascal" to evaluate it
for beginning programming courses in a university. It is a well put
together product and explains the lessons quite well. I think it is
valuable for teaching programming. I don't know if it's the right
thing for our school or not, but I think it's great for anyone wanting
to start programming the Mac.

In the parts I've worked through already, the material has so far been
"old hat" for me so I can't accurately judge how effective a teaching
aide it is. It APPEARS to be fairly effective.  I say if your brother
can point and click, and he can read, and he is motivated, JEP is a
cheap an effective way to get im started.

  --scott

--
Scott Truesdell

siegel@endor.harvard.edu (Rich Siegel) (12/08/89)

In article <4165@hydra.gatech.EDU> gt0818a@prism.gatech.EDU (Paul E. Robichaux) writes:

>I use (and love!) Lightspeed Pascal; I was wondering about their "Just Enough
>Pascal" tutorial package. I don't know how appropriate it is for an 11-year-old,
>and I don't know of any other tutorial packages like that available.
>
>If you use, and like, JEP, please let me know your evaluation of its age
>range. If you know of any other general "intro to programming" tutorials
>(ChipWits might do it, but I can't seem to find it anywhere.) response would
>be very welcome.

	If you think that he's able to pick up Pascal, then JEP would probably
be OK; It doesn't make any assumptions about the age of the user, and it
doesn't get terribly complicated...

R.

 Rich Siegel
 Staff Software Developer
 Symantec Corporation, Language Products Group
 Internet: siegel@endor.harvard.edu
 UUCP: ..harvard!endor!siegel

"There is no personal problem which cannot be solved by sufficient
application of high explosives."