[comp.sys.mac] Need a Flyback Transformer for my Mac

colleen@telesoft.com (Colleen Wirth @second) (11/29/89)

Hello,

A few weeks ago I was logging into work from home when my Macintosh
screen died on me.  I have the original Macintosh 128K that has been
upgraded to 512K.  The Mac is about 5 years old.

My dad took the computer to work and his technicians took a look at
it.  I guess there's supposed to be some silly restriction on opening
up your Mac computer?  Well, I didn't care, since I've been fixing the
Apple IIe for several years by myself, and I'm no technician.  Anyway,
they said that the problem was that the "flyback transformer" that
powers the picture tube was broken.  They were going to fix it for me
when, low and behold, this is a proprietary Apple Macintosh part.  I
called Computer Land (or something like that) and was told that I had
to swap the whole power supply board, even though only 1 chip was
bad.  This was fine until they said it was going to cost me $250.00.
That wasn't fine.  First, I've been told that my Mac isn't even worth
$250.00, and, second, I'm a very poor writer and cannot afford to pay
that much to fix my computer.

So, what I want to know is, do I have any other options?  Does anybody
out there have a Macintosh that is broken for another reason, and would
you be willing to sell me your flyback transformer?  I know this is a
proprietary part, but does anyone know where I can buy one anyway?  Other
than that one problem, the Mac works fine (though the disk drives tend
to stick and I have to eject the disks with a paper clip).

All suggestions welcome!  Thanks, Colleen

p.s. Please excuse me if this is an inappropriate news group.  I had no
     idea which to one(s) to post to.  Please don't send me hate mail, it
     does makes me feel bad.

fiddler%concertina@Sun.COM (Steve Hix) (11/30/89)

In article <609@telesoft.com>, colleen@telesoft.com (Colleen Wirth @second) writes:
> Hello,
>
> A few weeks ago I was logging into work from home when my Macintosh
> screen died on me.  I have the original Macintosh 128K that has been

This is what comes of Apple spec'ing a marginal part.  Reducing parts
cost, y'know.

> My dad took the computer to work and his technicians took a look at it
	[...]
> they said that the problem was that the "flyback transformer" that
> powers the picture tube was broken.  They were going to fix it for me
> when, lo and behold, this is a proprietary Apple Macintosh part.

So?  It was derived originally from an off-the-shelf flyback transformer.
An equivalent piece could be had for not much.  A better part would
still be less than the Apple part.

> I called Computer Land (or something like that) and was told that I had
> to swap the whole power supply board, even though only 1 chip was
> bad.  This was fine until they said it was going to cost me $250.00.
> That wasn't fine.  First, I've been told that my Mac isn't even worth
> $250.00, and, second, I'm a very poor writer and cannot afford to pay
> that much to fix my computer.

Your Mac, old as it is, is still probably worth mre than $250. This is
not to say, btw, that you need to pay $250 for the repair.

> So, what I want to know is, do I have any other options?

Any number of independent repair shops exist that could fix the board
for a nominal amount.  Some that work a lot on Macs routinely swap out
the transformer for a more robust part even if they've opened the Mac
for some other repair.

Contact, for starters, your local Mac user group and see if anyone in
the group knows about such a repair shop.  Check for shops that
reapir other makes...they might know of one that works on Macs.

Your dealer (most *any* dealer) isn't going to be able to help you much
here.

------------

"...Then anyone who leaves behind him a written manual, and likewise
anyone who receives it, in the belief that such writing will be clear
and certain, must be exceedingly simple-minded..."

		Plato, _Phaedrus_ 275d

denbeste@bgsuvax.UUCP (William C. DenBesten) (11/30/89)

In article <609@telesoft.com>, colleen@telesoft.com (Colleen Wirth @second) writes:
> they said that the problem was that the "flyback transformer" that
> powers the picture tube was broken.  They were going to fix it for me
> when, lo and behold, this is a proprietary Apple Macintosh part.

This is a common problem with macintoshes.  Replacement flybacks are available
from
	MCM Electronics
	650 Congress Park Dr.
	Centerville, OH 45459-4072

	(800)-543-4330

The part is j-33-980.  The price is $33.80.

They also have submini din-8 connectors for $1.65 each.  Part number j-27-647.

I gathered this info from their nov 1989 catalog (#22).

--
William C. DenBesten   is   denbeste@bgsu.edu  or   denbesten@bgsuopie.bitnet

stevem@hpvcfs1.HP.COM (Steve Miller) (11/30/89)

Colleen writes:

>A few weeks ago I was logging into work from home when my Macintosh
>screen died on me.  I have the original Macintosh 128K that has been
>upgraded to 512K.  The Mac is about 5 years old.

This may be the solution to your problem:

Many of the older Macintosh's had problems with their power supplies.  The
problem would make the screen jitter and eventually completely fail, usually
only displaying a single vertical line in the middle of the screen.  The
problem usually was faulty solder joints on the power supply board.  This
problem and it's solution is very well documented in an article of MacTutor
Magazine.  The exact issue escapes me but it was about 2 years ago.  The
solution was to open your Mac and re-solder the bad joints.  Only about
two or three joints needed to be re-soldered, taking only a few minitues to
do.  Two friends and I had this problem and we were able to fix it
ourselves!!!

If you need more information, email me and I'll try to find the issue of
MacTutor that had the information and relay it to you.  If you know of other
veteran Mac users, then they may have done the fix, or know how to do it.

Steven Miller        ...hplabs!hpvcfs1!stevem
Vancouver Division
Hewlett Packard

stevel@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Steve Ligett) (12/06/89)

In article <609@telesoft.com> colleen@telesoft.com (Colleen Wirth @second) writes:
>A few weeks ago I was logging into work from home when my Macintosh
>screen died on me...

Our shop buys many parts from:

Soft Solutions
907 River Road, Suite #98,
Eugene, OR  97404
Phone: 503 461-1136
Fax: 503 485-4529

The flyback is $18 (qty 1), $15 (qty 3).  They have many other
components, including L2 that someone else was looking for ($12).

I've never bought from them, but I would if I needed a part.

Disclaimer - Like, sure, I commute to Oregon for my night job!?
--
steve.ligett@dartmouth.edu or ...!dartvax!steve.ligett

jrw@cbnewsc.ATT.COM (jack.r.wright) (12/06/89)

Check out a place called Pre-Owned Electronics at (617) 891-6851.  I recall
that they have flyback transformers for about $60.  They do warn, however,
that when the flyback goes, it often takes other components with it.

Jack Wright

fjo@cbnewsc.ATT.COM (frank.j.owen) (12/06/89)

A place called "Soft Solutions" sells the transformer for $18.
They also sell a "power supply upgrade" kit that replaces many
of the Apple "marginal" parts with beefier ones. The kit
includes the flyback and costs $48.

I have purchased the upgrade kit and have been pleased with it.
Their number is: (503) 461-1136.

--
Frank Owen   312-982-2182
AT&T Bell Laboratories

dplatt@coherent.com (Dave Platt) (12/06/89)

In article <5248@cbnewsc.ATT.COM> fjo@cbnewsc.ATT.COM (frank.j.owen) writes:
> A place called "Soft Solutions" sells the transformer for $18.
> They also sell a "power supply upgrade" kit that replaces many
> of the Apple "marginal" parts with beefier ones. The kit
> includes the flyback and costs $48.
>
> I have purchased the upgrade kit and have been pleased with it.
> Their number is: (503) 461-1136.

Last week, I mentioned Soft Solutions to a guy I met who was in dire need
of a flyback transformer for a Mac Plus which was showing signs of an
impending power-supply meltdown.  He phoned this afternoon to say that
he had ordered the upgrade kit, installed it, and that the Mac was up
and running happily with none of the problems it had shown before.
"Really nice folks", he said.

I haven't dealt with them myself... but it sounds as if they're filling
a need and doing it well.
--
Dave Platt                                             VOICE: (415) 493-8805
  UUCP: ...!{ames,apple,uunet}!coherent!dplatt   DOMAIN: dplatt@coherent.com

omh@cs.brown.edu (Owen M. Hartnett) (12/06/89)

I, too, have used the Softsolutions upgrade method for a couple of analog
boards.  They're really fast, send you quality stuff, and you end up with
a better power supply than what Apple sold you.

For people who want to get into this more, there's a book on the verge
of release called "Macintosh Repair Secrets" by Larry Pina from Hayden
Books.  I got a chance to skim through the galleys (the author is a member
of our local user group) and it looks extremely well done and documented.
You might want to keep an eye out for it for the next month or so.

Disclaimer:  I've met the author through a local user group, and he has
given me some technical advice which has helped me do some really
inexpensive repairs, but, frankly, this should be all the more reason for
me to recommend the book to you.

Owen Hartnett				omh@cs.brown.edu.CSNET
Brown University Computer Science	omh@cs.brown.edu
					uunet!brunix!omh
"Don't wait up for me tonight because I won't be home for a month."

hgw@julia.math.ucla.edu (Harold Wong) (12/08/89)

In article <5215@bgsuvax.UUCP> denbeste@bgsuvax.UUCP (William C. DenBesten) writes:
>In article <609@telesoft.com>, colleen@telesoft.com (Colleen Wirth @second) writes:
>> they said that the problem was that the "flyback transformer" that
>> powers the picture tube was broken.  They were going to fix it for me
>> when, lo and behold, this is a proprietary Apple Macintosh part.

Be warned, when my Mac blew its flyback, the repair company had to also
replace a power transistor.  My guess is, might of been a BU406.
While your at it, check your capacitors, make sure it's not bulging
or leaking.  Check espacially the Bi-Polar one.

Harold Wong         (213) 825-9040
UCLA-Mathnet; 3915F MSA; 405 Hilgard Ave.; Los Angeles, CA 90024-1555
ARPA: hgw@math.ucla.edu          BITNET: hgw%math.ucla.edu@INTERBIT