[comp.sys.mac] Virtual 2.0 for SE/30

ghh@clarity.Princeton.EDU (Gilbert Harman) (11/29/89)

My copy of the Virtual 2.0 update came today for my SE/30.
As with the previous version my "beep" is still gone.  But Allegro
common lisp has not crashed yet, so that problem seems to
have been fixed.
--
		       Gilbert Harman
                       Princeton University Cognitive Science Laboratory

		       ghh@princeton.edu
		       HARMAN@PUCC.BITNET

mha@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Mark H. Anbinder) (11/29/89)

In article <GHH.89Nov28140439@cognito.princeton.edu> ghh@clarity.Princeton.EDU (Gilbert Harman) writes:
>My copy of the Virtual 2.0 update came today for my SE/30.
>As with the previous version my "beep" is still gone.

The Virtual 2.0 update disk has two items on it.  One is the new Virtual
init and cdev file, and the other is an application called "Simple Beep
Installer."  This program installs a new snd resource in your System file
to replace the old one.  It looks, sounds, and acts the same as the
original beep... except of course that it'll work!

--
Mark H. Anbinder        ************************** mha@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu
BAKA Industries                                 ** (cornell!)biar!memory!mha

rus@io.UUCP (Russell Sheptak) (12/07/89)

In an earlier article Gilbert Harman wrote about his experiences using
the Virtual Init, version 2.0, and how he still didn't have his system
beep sound back.  (SE/30, system version not specified).

Mark Anbinder replied that the 2.0 release disk contains an installation
program for a simple beep sound that is supposed to resolve that problem.

It doesn't, at least not on my macIIcx with system 6.0.3 and the special
version of multifinder needed for SADE.  I haven't got around to calling
Connectix to find out what the story is yet, since I just got the upgrade
on monday.

I'd love to know how the init clobbers the beep.  Anybody care to
speculate?

Rus

Disclaimer:  Its only my opinion!
UUCP: {decvax,pyramid,sequent}sun!sunne!ileaf!rus   Rus Sheptak
      mit-eddie!ileaf!rus			    Interleaf
ARPA: rus@ileaf.com				    10 Canal Park
SNAIL:  42 Blue Hill Terrace, Milton, MA 02186      Cambridge, MA 02141

mha@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Mark H. Anbinder) (12/08/89)

In article <1324@io.UUCP> rus@io.UUCP (Russell Sheptak) writes:
>In an earlier article Gilbert Harman wrote about his experiences using
>the Virtual Init, version 2.0, and how he still didn't have his system
>beep sound back.  (SE/30, system version not specified).
>
>Mark Anbinder replied that the 2.0 release disk contains an installation
>program for a simple beep sound that is supposed to resolve that problem.
>
>It doesn't, at least not on my macIIcx with system 6.0.3 and the special
>version of multifinder needed for SADE.  I haven't got around to calling
>Connectix...
>
>I'd love to know how the init clobbers the beep.  Anybody care to
>speculate?

What you need to do with the Beep Installer program is start up your
machine with another system disk (i.e. a System Folder equipped floppy)
and THEN run the installer program.  Modifying active System files can
be tricky, so in some cases the installer program released with version
2.0 of Virtual will not work on the startup System.  It does work in
other cases, so if you haven't had the problem, don't worry.

Connectix has started shipping another version of the beep installer
program that DOES work on the System that is currently active.

The reason the beep stops working in the first place is that it is a
time-specific sound.  Virtual affects the Macintosh system's timing
control, so if a beep has been "told" to go off on a specific clock
tick, that tick might be skipped entirely, and the beep would never
happen.  If you heard tiny clicks instead of beeps, it was because the
speaker was being accessed but the beep wasn't getting around to beeping.
The new beep being distributed by Connectix is a sound digitized from a
tape recording of the original simple beep (no kidding!).  Just like
the other sounds that Apple distributes, digitized beeps work just fine.

Sorry if this isn't quite clear... it's a second-hand explanation from
Scott at Connectix.  Thanks, Scott!  For more info, call Connectix at
415-324-0727.

--
Mark H. Anbinder        ************************** mha@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu
BAKA Industries                                 ** ...!batcomputer!memory!mha