[comp.sys.mac] Games list - color/multifinder/macII

dce@smsc.sony.com (David Elliott) (12/07/89)

About a month ago, I requested information about commercial games.
The table below gives the game name, the screen depth required,
whether or not it works under MultiFinder, and whether or not it
works on Mac II-class machines.  Note that a screen depth of '*'
means that any screen depth works, otherwise, you have to actively
set your screen depth to that given (BOO!).

Beyond Dark Castle - 1, mf, II
Chuck Yeager Flight Simulator - *, mf, II
Colony - 1, mf, II
Color Moebius - 4, mf, II
Color Sim City - 4, nomf, II
Color Tetris - 8, mf, II
Crystal Quest - *?, mf, II
Dark Castle - 1, mf, II
Deja Vu - *, mf, II
Falcon - 1, nomf, noII
Hitchhiker's Guide - *, mf, II
Leprechaun - *, mf, II
MacGolf - 4, ?, ?
MacGolf Classic - 4, mf, II
MacMan - 1, mf?, noII
PT-109 - 1, MF, II
Quarterstaff - *, mf, II
ShadowQuest - *, mf, II
Sim City - 1, nomf, II
Tetris - 1, mf, II

If you have more or different information, send it to me and I'll post
a revised list.  I'd particularly like to get info on things like Net
Trek, Gato, Mighty Nerd, Shanghai, Arkanoids, OIDS, and Pinball
Construction Set.

Again, I haven't included shareware in the list because you can get
these and try them without plunking down bucks.
--
David Elliott
dce@smsc.sony.com | ...!{uunet,mips}!sonyusa!dce

jellinghaus-robert@CS.YALE.EDU (Rob Jellinghaus) (12/08/89)

In article <1989Dec6.181931.20121@smsc.sony.com> dce@smsc.Sony.COM (David Elliott) writes:
>About a month ago, I requested information about commercial games.
>The table below gives the game name, the screen depth required,
>whether or not it works under MultiFinder, and whether or not it
>works on Mac II-class machines.  Note that a screen depth of '*'
>means that any screen depth works, otherwise, you have to actively
>set your screen depth to that given (BOO!).

>If you have more or different information, send it to me and I'll post
>a revised list.  I'd particularly like to get info on things like Net
>Trek, Gato, Mighty Nerd, Shanghai, Arkanoids, OIDS, and Pinball
>Construction Set.
>--
>David Elliott
>dce@smsc.sony.com | ...!{uunet,mips}!sonyusa!dce
>(408)944-4073
>"It's bigger than a breadbox, and smaller than the planet Jupiter."

Thanks for compiling the list.  I'm disappointed it's not longer; c.s.m
doesn't seem to have many Mac gamers... but in the hope _someone_ else will
find this useful, here're another two.

Mighty Nerd: *, II, MF.  This is the only game on this list that I recommend
NO ONE BUY.  They'll have to do a lot of work to make this playable.  It's
the buggiest game I have ever played.  Not only that, but the game play is
uninteresting and repetitive, and it is possible to finish the game in an
hour.  (I did.  My first time.)  Worst waste ever of $50.

Space Rogue: 1 or 4 bits, II, MF.  Quite a nice game just released from
Origin.  Very similar to the old Apple ][ (and other computers) game Elite;
combines 3-d space travel and dogfights (solid-fill 3d graphics, in color
on the II, some nice view modes) with space trading (and hence piracy)
and quite a nicely plotted role-playing section.  Works great on an SE
and on a II.  Recommended.  (I just finished it and I'm glad I bought it...)

I plan to buy Omega from Origin as soon as it comes out for the Mac.  Also
on the Christmas list is SimCity, and then next year Pool of Radiance (in
color for the II!), and F-19 in January (ditto!), and then Windwalker from
Origin (ditto ditto!)... it should be quite a happy 1990!

Rob Jellinghaus                | "Next time you see a lie being spread or a
jellinghaus-robert@CS.Yale.EDU |  bad decision being made out of sheer ignor-
ROBERTJ@{yalecs,yalevm}.BITNET |  ance, pause, and think of hypertext."
{everyone}!decvax!yale!robertj |     -- K. Eric Drexler, _Engines of Creation_