[comp.sys.mac] Need Globe Plot

eto@spacely.Jpl.Nasa.Gov (Edward Olsen) (12/08/89)

I need an application which draws a globe with latitude and longitude circles
as seen from a specified viewpoint.  EarthPlot 3.0 would be ideal if I could
disable the drawing of the continents.  Does anybody know of such an
application, or how to disable the continents in EarthPlot (using ResEdit)?

						Ed Olsen

/*******************************************************************
 * Edward Olsen                    ARPA: eto@spacely.jpl.nasa.gov  *
 * Mail Stop: 169-506              UUCP: ...!cit-vax!spacely!eto   *
 * Jet Propulsion Laboratory       SPAN: jplrag::olsen             *
 * 4800 Oak Grove Drive                                            *
 * Pasadena, CA 91109                                              *
 *                                                                 *
 * Phone: FTS: 792-7604      Commercial: (818) 354-7604            *
 *******************************************************************/

peirce@claris.com (Michael Peirce) (12/08/89)

In article <1989Dec7.185640.15880@elroy.jpl.nasa.gov> eto@spacely.Jpl.Nasa.Gov (Edward Olsen) writes:
>I need an application which draws a globe with latitude and longitude circles
>as seen from a specified viewpoint.  EarthPlot 3.0 would be ideal if I could
>disable the drawing of the continents.  Does anybody know of such an
>application, or how to disable the continents in EarthPlot (using ResEdit)?
>
>						Ed Olsen

You said ResEdit would be OK, so here goes...

Open up a copy of Earthplot 3.0 with ResEdit.  Look at CODE resource #2.
Use the FIND command to locate $6C8A, then change it to be $FFFF.
Do this twice (i.e. there are two instances of $6C8A).

This should elimate all landmass drawing.  Now if you turn on lat & long
lines you should get what you want.

[If you can't find $6C8A look for $0C47 followed by large integers (ignore
places with it followed by small numbers like 000B & 0012). Replace the
large integer following the $0C47 with $FFFF (twice).  I checked this
patch on a (unreleased)  post 3.0 version, but I think $6C8A should have
stayed constant -- it's the number of coordinate triplets in the edat resource].

If you (or anyone else for that matter) is interested, the sources are in
the Public Domain and I can send them to you.  3.0 is written in Think C.
I haven't compiled it in ages so it may need some tweaking to work with the
latest greatest Think C.  It also uses a "programmer's helper" subroutine
library called TSkel from Paul DuBois.  Again, I haven't used TSkel in
years, but it should still work too without much trouble...]

 Claris Corp. | Michael R. Peirce (author of EarthPlot)