[comp.sys.mac] Claris, MacTerminal, Zterm, Zmodem, Apple

perez@andromeda.rutgers.edu.rutgers.edu (Willie Perez) (12/06/89)

I have a suggestion!

I've been waiting for my MacTerminal upgrade for ages.
Seems nowadays that some shareware programs are almost just
as good as the products we pay good money for.  Why doesn't
Claris take MacTerminal (since it has all the other originally
Apple programs) and add Zmodem and scripting.  This, I know,
will directly compete with WhiteKnight(RedRyder) and Microphone II.
But I'm kind of upset that I paid good money for MacTerminal
which only supports Xmodem (no scripting) and shareware programs
ZTerm for example, already support Zmodem!

perez@andromeda.rutgers.edu

Opinions are strictly mine:  I'm a poor unemployed college student anyway.

perez@andromeda.rutgers.edu.rutgers.edu (Willie Perez) writes:

>Why doesn't
>Claris take MacTerminal (since it has all the other originally
>Apple programs) and add Zmodem and scripting.

Because Apple still owns MacTerminal, not Claris.
--

Chuq Von Rospach   <+>   chuq@apple.com   <+>   [This is myself speaking]

When it comes to matters ourside your specialties, you are consistently and
brilliantly stupid [....] with respect to matters you haven't studied and
have had no experience basing your opinions on casual gossip [....] and
plain misinformation -- unsuspected because you haven't attempted to verify it.
	-- Robert Heinlein to J.W. Campbell, Jr. 1941

drc@claris.com (Dennis Cohen) (12/06/89)

perez@andromeda.rutgers.edu.rutgers.edu (Willie Perez) writes:

>I have a suggestion!

>I've been waiting for my MacTerminal upgrade for ages.
>Seems nowadays that some shareware programs are almost just
>as good as the products we pay good money for.  Why doesn't
>Claris take MacTerminal (since it has all the other originally
>Apple programs) and add Zmodem and scripting.  This, I know,
>will directly compete with WhiteKnight(RedRyder) and Microphone II.
>But I'm kind of upset that I paid good money for MacTerminal
>which only supports Xmodem (no scripting) and shareware programs
>ZTerm for example, already support Zmodem!

Normally, I would just respond to this by mail, but it has been asked before
and so the information should probably be more widely shared.  When Apple
spun Claris off, it gave Claris application programs and kept "System
Software" in-house.  Apple considers MacTerminal to be "System Software"
just as they consider HyperCard to be System Software.  Claris can't
"take" MacTerminal, Apple has to "give" it and there is no way that they
are going to do so, especially with their classification of connectivity
(including telecommunications) software as "System Software".

Lest you think I don't understand your frustration, I also
paid good money (in the form of upgrading a 128K Mac to a 512K back in 1984)
for MacTerminal (and MacProject).  A few months later, I sent a shareware
payment to Scott Watson for Red Ryder 4.0 and used various versions of Red
for all my telecomm needs except AppleLink until I bought CompuServe
Navigator.  I still use RR (and am awaiting my upgrade to WK).  I've tried
each release of ZTerm since .75, but keep going back to RR.  Getting any
support out of Apple or their dealer base for MacTerminal was quickly
discovered to be an exercise in futility.

fleming@cup.portal.com (Stephen R Fleming) (12/07/89)

perez@andromeda.rutgers.edu.rutgers.edu (Willie Perez) writes:

>Why doesn't
>Claris take MacTerminal (since it has all the other originally
>Apple programs) and add Zmodem and scripting.

Better suggestion - why doesn't Apple (not Claris) take all its copies of
MacTerminal and have a bonfire, so that unsuspecting Mac purchasers quit
buying this crippled program?  Without the Apple imprimateur, they might
look around and find things like Smartcom II.

Best I can figure is that Apple plans some neato-keen communications
features in System 7.0, which is why Claris didn't inherit MacTerminal.
I'll withhold judgement until I see it, but I can't imagine anything
working better for the way I do business than Smartcom II.  (Others swear
by Microphone and White Knight... fine.  But have you ever found a rabid
MacTerminal power user?)

+--------------------------+-------------------------------------------+
|  Stephen Fleming         | My employer doesn't pay for this account. |
|  fleming@cup.portal.com  | In fact, my employer doesn't even know    |
|  CI$:   76354,3176       | I'm here!  Disclaimer enough for any      |
|  Voice: (703) 847-7058   | network-aware lawyer-types, I hope...     |
+--------------------------+-------------------------------------------+

dorner@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner) (12/09/89)

In article <24751@cup.portal.com> fleming@cup.portal.com (Stephen R Fleming) writes:
>But have you ever found a rabid
>MacTerminal power user?

I think foaming at the mouth is normal behavior for a MacTerminal user.
It was for me when I used it; but then so was swearing, kicking, and
screaming :-).

(Anybody want to buy a copy of MacTerminal, the first version ever?)
Internet: s-dorner@uiuc.edu  UUCP: {convex,uunet}!uiucuxc!dorner
IfUMust:  (217) 244-1765