[comp.sys.mac] Apple File Exchange

currier@prandtl.nas.nasa.gov (Jeffrey M. Currier) (05/18/89)

I want to use the Apple File Exchane to conver from Mulimate to MacWrite
but I think I need a special scrift.  The only script I have is MacWrite
to DCA-RFT.  can anyone help me here?
Thanks in advance.
Jeff Currier  (602)621-4948       | "Live each day as your last,
Computational Fluid Mechanics Lab | because to die already dead
University of Arizona, Tucson     | is the worst death of all."
currier@prandtl.nas.nasa.gov      |

lauac@mead.qal.berkeley.edu (Alexander Lau) (05/18/89)

In article <2014@amelia.nas.nasa.gov> currier@prandtl.nas.nasa.gov (Jeffrey M. Currier) writes:
>I want to use the Apple File Exchane to conver from Mulimate to MacWrite
>but I think I need a special scrift.  The only script I have is MacWrite
>to DCA-RFT.  can anyone help me here?
>Thanks in advance.

If you have Word, it comes with several Apple File Exchange utilities,
including DCA -> RTF and WordPerfect 4.x -> RTF. From RTF, one can
convert to MacWrite within Word.

--- Alex
UUCP: {att,backbones}!ucbvax!qal.berkeley.edu!lauac
INTERNET: lauac%qal.berkeley.edu@ucbvax.berkeley.edu
FIDONET: Alex.Lau@bmug.fidonet.org (1:161/444)

cwv90332@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (05/19/89)

On a similar note, recentlyat our computer fair here on campus Apple had a
booth were they were demoing (is that spelled correctly :-) the Apple File
Exchange Program.  They had a list of conversion specifications a mile long
(just about every file type you can think of).  After recieving my shiny
new IIcx and System 6.0.3 I notice that only a subset of these drivers are
included.  Does anyone know the manner in which the others can be acquired.
That is are they PD or do we need to purchase them.

Chris Velkover
cwv90332@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu
Senior Computer Science
University of Illinois @ Urbana Champaign

seghers@hpccc.HP.COM (David Seghers) (05/19/89)

Try converting the file within Multimate to DCA.  This is possible with
Multimate Advantage II, with the Conversion options in the very first
MM screen (not WP, which bypasses this screen.).  Then use the file exchange
to convert to MacWrite, then convert to whatever else.  This has worked for
me.

There is also a company listed in the Mac II manual that sells other
conversion scripts, for about $150, if memory serves, that might be
easeier.

Luck,

David Seghers

chris@accuvax.nwu.edu (Chris Krohn) (05/20/89)

	A good set of translators for AFE is available from DataViz,
Inc. under the name MacLink Plus/Translators.  This package includes
translators for spreadsheets, databases, and word processors.  DataViz
is located in Trumbull, Connecticut, but MacLink should be available
from most good sources of Mac software.

	(Please note that I have no relationship with DataViz except as a
satisfied customer.)

Chris Krohn				Phone:    (312)-491-4109
Northwestern University			BitNet:	  CHRIS@NUACC
Evanston, IL				InterNet: CHRIS@NUACC.ACNS.NWU.EDU

Whiz.Kid@f31.n343.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Whiz Kid) (10/08/89)

Hi.  I use a macintosh SE with two superdrives.  Everytime I try to run
the Apple File Exchange program that came with my computer it crashes.  I
tested it on a friends PLUS and it worked fine.  Am I doing anything
wrong.  Does the SE with superdrives lack the ability to run that
program?
thanx for any help.

--
Whiz Kid via cmhGate - Net 226 fido<=>uucp gateway Col, OH
UUCP: ...!osu-cis!n8emr!cmhgate!343!31!Whiz.Kid

phaedrus@blake.acs.washington.edu (the Wanderer) (10/11/89)

In article <25363.252FE519@cmhgate.FIDONET.ORG> Whiz.Kid@f31.n343.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Whiz Kid) writes:

>Hi.  I use a macintosh SE with two superdrives.  Everytime I try to run
>the Apple File Exchange program that came with my computer it crashes.  I
>tested it on a friends PLUS and it worked fine.  Am I doing anything
>wrong.  Does the SE with superdrives lack the ability to run that
>program?
>thanx for any help.

     It's been my experience that Apple File Exchange is particularly
sensitive to what INITs and CDEVs you have installed.  My copy, for instance,
refuses to work with Suitcase II installed, and many other INITs seem to cause
odd behavior (as if the AFE user interface wasn't odd enough :) ).
     Your friend's Plus probably has fewer of these installed, or at least
different ones that don't cause problems.
     The best advice for using AFE is probably to turn off every INIT and CDEV
(programs like INIT Picker make this much easier), restart the system, run
AFE and do your file conversion, turn the INITs back on and restart again.
It's a bit of a pain, but I've never run into AFE crashes/misbehavior with
INITs off.
     (Please note that I only use AFE once every three months at best; I'm
sure more elegant ways around the problems exist, but I've never been irritated
enough to find them...)

>--
>Whiz Kid via cmhGate - Net 226 fido<=>uucp gateway Col, OH
>UUCP: ...!osu-cis!n8emr!cmhgate!343!31!Whiz.Kid
>INET: Whiz.Kid@f31.n343.z1.FIDONET.ORG

--
  Internet: phaedrus@blake.acs.washington.edu  (Univ. of Washington, Seattle)
    Opinions expressed are not those of this station or its management.

roy@ics.uci.edu (John M.A. Roy) (12/09/89)

I need to read a 3.5" DOS floppy with WordStar 5.0 and Lotus files on
it.  I'd like to be able to convert them to Word 4.0 and Execl.  I
read that Dataviz has some translation programs, but I don't really
want to buy the whole $159 cable set-up, I just need the translators.

Does anybody know of a simple way to handle this?  I also heard that
there is an init (DOS Monitor) which converts Lotus to Excel; has
anybody had any luck with this init?  Is there one which converts WS
to Word?

Thanks,
John M.A. Roy (714) 856-5039
ICS Dept., Univ. Calif., Irvine CA 92717
Internet: roy@ics.uci.edu