[comp.sys.mac] White Knight text transfer

steelem@boulder.Colorado.EDU (STEELE MARK ALLEN) (12/07/89)

I have a problem with White Knight when transfering text files...
After receiving or sending a text file I see that all I have is
the entire text on one line. I believe I have the filters set
correctly to remove LF but not CR, I'm using WK 11.02. What am I doing
wrong?!
	-Mark Steele

gall@yunexus.UUCP (Norm Gall) (12/07/89)

steelem@boulder.Colorado.EDU (STEELE MARK ALLEN) writes:

| I have a problem with White Knight when transfering text files...
| After receiving or sending a text file I see that all I have is
| the entire text on one line. I believe I have the filters set
| correctly to remove LF but not CR, I'm using WK 11.02. What am I doing
| wrong?!

I had the same problem....  translate LFs to CRs in the File Transfer
filter... works fine...

nrg

--
York University          | "Philosophers who make the general claim that a
Department of Philosophy |       rule simply 'reduces to' its formulations

henry@chinet.chi.il.us (Henry C. Schmitt) (12/09/89)

In article <14650@boulder.Colorado.EDU> steelem@boulder.Colorado.EDU (STEELE MARK ALLEN) writes:
>I have a problem with White Knight when transfering text files...
>After receiving or sending a text file I see that all I have is
>the entire text on one line. I believe I have the filters set
>correctly to remove LF but not CR, I'm using WK 11.02. What am I doing
>wrong?!
>	-Mark Steele

Mark -
	I had this same problem until I realized that the Unix
system doesn't use CR at all, only LF.  Therefore if you discard LFs
leaving only CRs you wind up with everything on one line!
	When talking to Unix systems, you must map LF to CR instead
of dumping them.  Just remember that if you do this on systems that
use CRLF for EOL this mapping will doublespace your text.
	I hope this helps.
				H3nry

P.S. Don't forget that Kermit's Text transfers handle all this
automagically!
--
  H3nry C. Schmitt     | CompuServe: 72275,1456  (Rarely)
 Royal Inn of Yoruba   | UUCP: Henry@chinet.chi.il.us  (Best Bet)

ngg@bridge2.ESD.3Com.COM (Norman Goodger) (12/09/89)

In article <14650@boulder.Colorado.EDU> steelem@boulder.Colorado.EDU (STEELE MARK ALLEN) writes:
>I have a problem with White Knight when transfering text files...
>After receiving or sending a text file I see that all I have is
>the entire text on one line. I believe I have the filters set
>correctly to remove LF but not CR, I'm using WK 11.02. What am I doing
>wrong?!
>	-Mark Steele

I sent some mail about this, but perhaps its just as good to send a note
about it too. If you download a file from a system, and the text appears
as indicated above (all on one line), you need to create a file transfer
filter in White Knight that translates 010 to 013.

If you are sending a text file, you need to add LF's with the AddLF RCMD
that was included on the Wk Master disk...Hope this info helps..

Norm

--
Norm Goodger				SysOp - MacInfo BBS @415-795-8862
3Com Corp.				Co-SysOp FreeSoft RT - GEnie.