[comp.sys.mac] Telling a plain mac2 you have a 68882.

jeffb@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Jeffrey C. Buchsbaum) (12/08/89)

A friend has installed a 68882 chip in a vanilla mac2, and wants the macII to
know it is an -82 and not an -81.  The mac has an fdhd upgrade, so it has the
IIx roms ( or some such set above the original macII ).
Is there an init or cdev that will let you tell the mac "I have a 68882, trust
me...  ."  Thanks ahead of time.

Jeff Buchsbaum
jeffb@mac.dartmouth.edu   or jeffb@eleazar.dartmouth.edu

siegel@endor.harvard.edu (Rich Siegel) (12/09/89)

In article <17817@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> jeffb@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Jeffrey C. Buchsbaum) writes:
>A friend has installed a 68882 chip in a vanilla mac2, and wants the macII to
>know it is an -82 and not an -81.  The mac has an fdhd upgrade, so it has the
>IIx roms ( or some such set above the original macII ).
>Is there an init or cdev that will let you tell the mac "I have a 68882, trust
>me...  ."  Thanks ahead of time.

	No change is necessary. The 882 is software-compatible with the 881,
and nothing special is required to tell the machine that it's there. It'll
work fine with no user intervention.

	I installed one in my Mac II a long time ago, and it's working fine.
Just like the 881, only faster.

R.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 Rich Siegel
 Staff Software Developer
 Symantec Corporation, Language Products Group
 Internet: siegel@endor.harvard.edu
 UUCP: ..harvard!endor!siegel

"There is no personal problem which cannot be solved by sufficient
application of high explosives."

mkao@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Mike "Butterball" Kao) (12/09/89)

Speaking of the 68882, what is the difference between it and the '881? Speed?
PLEASE reply via E-MAIL to insure my receipt of any replies. Thank you!!!!
FINALLY! A permanent address........................mkao@cory.berkeley.edu