[comp.sys.mac] Coach Professional 3.1

mberline@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Marty Berliner) (12/03/89)

Since people have been posting about software upgrades, does anyone have
information about Deneba's Coach Professional 3.1?  Their newsletter of July
1989 said that it was coming ... but when????

Thanks in advance,
	Marty ...

frank@mnetor.UUCP (Frank Kolnick) (12/04/89)

In article <3387@jarthur.Claremont.EDU> mberline@jarthur.UUCP (Marty Berliner) writes:
>Since people have been posting about software upgrades, does anyone have
>information about Deneba's Coach Professional 3.1?  Their newsletter of July
>1989 said that it was coming ... but when????

Previous to that, they were promising an upgrade in for the fall of '88!
However, I just received an upgrade offer in the mail ($30), so it should
be shipping now.

--
Frank Kolnick,
consulting for, and therefore expressing opinions independent of, Computer X

macak@lakesys.lakesys.com (James Macak) (12/04/89)

In article <3387@jarthur.Claremont.EDU> mberline@jarthur.UUCP (Marty Berliner) writes:
>Since people have been posting about software upgrades, does anyone have
>information about Deneba's Coach Professional 3.1?  Their newsletter of July
>1989 said that it was coming ... but when????
>
>Thanks in advance,
>	Marty ...

I just received a postcard from Deneba (postmark Nov. 27, Miami) announcing
the 3.1 upgrade for Coach Professional.

Included is "access to the same thesaurus files used in the new BigThesaurus
desk accessory, "a new 30,000 word technical dictionary" and other
enhancements.

They claim compatibility with Word 4.0, MacWrite II, WriteNow 2.0, MORE II,
Works 2.0, Excel, QuarkXPress, RSG, MindWrite 2.0 and WordPerfect (among
others).  They also claim compatibility with Macs through the Mac IIci and the
most current system software.

Cost is free if you have an invoice for Coach Pro 3.0 dated before Aug. 1,
1988.  Otherwise upgade fee is $30.

Note: They state that the upgrade is "now available."  I would hope this means
it is actually shipping?!?

Jim

--

macak@lakesys.lakesys.com (James Macak)
      << All my own opinions. >>

clye@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Christopher Lye) (12/04/89)

In article <1386@lakesys.lakesys.com> macak@lakesys.UUCP (James Macak) writes:

>Note: They state that the upgrade is "now available."  I would hope this means
>it is actually shipping?!?
>
>Jim

It damn well better Be! I'm sure a lot of people remember that ad in all
the Mac mags last year about upgrading from MacLightning to Spelling
Coach (a popular tactic at Deneba it seems)? Well I sent in my $50 check
and after 6 weeks when I heard no news I had to call them to find out
that it "was still in testing." I called again in September and was told
"its ready to ship anyday now." This whole time I never once received
written confirmation that they had received my check or an reassurance
that that Spelling Coach 3.1 was EVER coming out!!!

Talk about sloppy customer relations. I think Deneba puts out some great
software but I noticed that I'm not the only one who thinks their
customer relations department needs a lot of work.

Chris

kent@sunfs3.camex.uucp (Kent Borg) (12/08/89)

In article <1386@lakesys.lakesys.com> macak@lakesys.UUCP (James Macak) writes:
>In article <3387@jarthur.Claremont.EDU> mberline@jarthur.UUCP (Marty Berliner) writes:
>>Since people have been posting about software upgrades, does anyone have
>>information about Deneba's Coach Professional 3.1?  Their newsletter of July
>>1989 said that it was coming ... but when????
>I just received a postcard from Deneba (postmark Nov. 27, Miami) announcing
>the 3.1 upgrade for Coach Professional.

When I got to work this morning there was an envelope sitting on my
chair with version 3.1 inside.  I installed it and it seems to work
better than the old one.  Things like the "Show Dictionary..." item
now works under MultiFinder without having to switch to the DA layer
first, the thesaurus does look nicer too (just used the phonetic
suggestion to find out how to spell "thesaurus").

I did get one crash of Finder where I had the dictionary window open,
plus several thesaurus windows.  I chose "Quit Coach Pro(tm)" and the
Coach menu went away, but the windows remained.  I tried clicking the
close box of one of the windows and Finder got all upset, died, and
relaunched.

I have never really used the interactive and batch spelling options (I
mainly just use the dictionary and thaurus to look up spellings), so I
don't know whether they are very different.

Conclusion: Spelling Coach Professional 3.1 does exist.

Note: When I got to the personalizing step the first time I ran Coach,
I needed a serial number.  The disks had no serial number, the manual
had no serial number, the disk envelope had no serial number (no
shrink-wrap license either), but the UPS mailing label *did* have an
extra little sticker on it.  I tried that number.  It worked.  Moral:
Never throw away *any* packing materials until you are *sure* you have
all the small parts.

--
Kent Borg                  lloyd!kent@husc6.harvard.edu or ...!husc6!lloyd!kent
                                              H:(617) 776-6899  W:(617)426-3577

bannon@andromeda.rutgers.edu.rutgers.edu (Ron Bannon) (12/09/89)

In article <575@sunfs3.camex.uucp> lloyd!kent@husc6.harvard.edu writes:

>Note: When I got to the personalizing step the first time I ran Coach,
>I needed a serial number.  The disks had no serial number, the manual
>had no serial number, the disk envelope had no serial number (no
>shrink-wrap license either), but the UPS mailing label *did* have an
>extra little sticker on it.  I tried that number.  It worked.  Moral:
>Never throw away *any* packing materials until you are *sure* you have
>all the small parts.

I didn't enter a serial number and the program still worked.

Ron Bannon
bannon@andromeda.rutgers.edu
Is George Bush a traitor? Read "October Surprise" by Honegger. Send for details.