[comp.sys.mac] Virtual 2.0 on ci & se30

rrw@naucse.UUCP (Robert Wier) (12/09/89)

 Can anyone tell me if the same version of Virtual 2.0 runs
 on both a IIci and the SE/30.  Or are there different versions
 for different machines?  We have a ci which right now has 1 meg
 of memory, but which will be be fully simmed sometime after the
 first of the year.  At that point, I'd like to swap the program
 over to my SE/30.  But is it the same program for both machines?

 THANKS!
  - Bob Wier                             Northern Arizona University
   summer:Ouray, Colorado                 winter:Flagstaff, Arizona
   USENET: ...arizona!naucse!rrw  | BITNET: WIER@NAUVAX  | WB5KXH

hammen@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Robert J. Hammen) (12/09/89)

In article <1840@naucse.UUCP> rrw@naucse.UUCP (Robert Wier) writes:

> Can anyone tell me if the same version of Virtual 2.0 runs
> on both a IIci and the SE/30.  Or are there different versions
> for different machines?

There is a different version for the IIci. It sounded to me like they hadn't
quite gotten it ready for release (the notes from the 2.0 upgrade mention
this). So, it looks like you're out of luck.

I am extremely happy with the 2.0 upgrade. Seems very solid, and I like the
new options to set the size and location of the swap file. 2.0 fixes a bug I
found in 1.05 on my Mac II where it screwed up my keyboard - made applications
(and MacEnvy) think that I had a standard keyboard when I had the Saratoga...

Even though RAM prices have fallen, Virtual is still pretty cost-effective.
$125 for the IIx/IIcx/SE/30 version, and $195 for the II version (with PMMU!)
from MacConnection...

Robert

hodas@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Josh Hodas) (12/10/89)

In article <1840@naucse.UUCP> rrw@naucse.UUCP (Robert Wier) writes:

> Can anyone tell me if the same version of Virtual 2.0 runs
> on both a IIci and the SE/30.  Or are there different versions
> for different machines?  We have a ci which right now has 1 meg
> of memory, but which will be be fully simmed sometime after the
> first of the year.  At that point, I'd like to swap the program
> over to my SE/30.  But is it the same program for both machines?
>
> THANKS!
>  - Bob Wier                             Northern Arizona University
>   summer:Ouray, Colorado                 winter:Flagstaff, Arizona
>   USENET: ...arizona!naucse!rrw  | BITNET: WIER@NAUVAX  | WB5KXH

At the moment there is NO VERSION of VIRTUAL for the IIci. The problem is
that the on-board video makes memory-mapping very screwy.  THey hope to
have a version soon (Scott said I might get a beta as early as next week)
but they wont promise anything.

Josh
-------------------------

Josh Hodas    (hodas@eniac.seas.upenn.edu)
4223 Pine Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104

(215) 222-7112   (home)
(215) 898-5423   (school office)

mha@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Mark H. Anbinder) (12/10/89)

In article <1840@naucse.UUCP> rrw@naucse.UUCP (Robert Wier) writes:

> Can anyone tell me if the same version of Virtual 2.0 runs
> on both a IIci and the SE/30.  Or are there different versions
> for different machines?  We have a ci which right now has 1 meg
> of memory, but which will be be fully simmed sometime after the
> first of the year.  At that point, I'd like to swap the program
> over to my SE/30.  But is it the same program for both machines?

There are two different versions of Virtual 2.0, the 68020 version and
the 68030 version.  The '030 version is the same for all '030 machines.
Therefore, the only thing you need to be concerned about is the fact
that Virtual does not currently run on the IIci.  Period.  This is the
top priority at Connectix right now, and you should expect a working
version within a few days, but any copy you were to buy right now would
not work on your IIci.

As for switching it over to the SE/30 after you add memory to the IIci,
why not leave it on the IIci and have 14 megs of memory rather than 8,
the maximum you can get from SIMMs?

--
Mark H. Anbinder        ************************** mha@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu
BAKA Industries                                 ** ...!batcomputer!memory!mha