[comp.sys.mac] more info

bh11+@andrew.cmu.edu (Braddock John Hathaway) (12/11/89)

I have more information:

I tried to use SUMII to recover the 1/2 of my
system that's recently gone missing.  I was able
to pull the files back to another volume, but when
I tried to put them back in the system on my HD,
they refused to copy since there was "already a file
there by that name."

Anybody have any further Ideas?

I'd appreciate email responses rather than posts
to the net since comp.sys.mac seems to be so darned
crowded these days (and who just posted to it three
times today???? [me]).

Thanks,

Brad

bskendig@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Brian Scott Kendig) (12/11/89)

In article <QZUi41m00WBLQ1dV8g@andrew.cmu.edu> bh11+@andrew.cmu.edu (Braddock John Hathaway) writes:
>I tried to use SUMII to recover the 1/2 of my
>system that's recently gone missing.  I was able
>to pull the files back to another volume, but when
>I tried to put them back in the system on my HD,
>they refused to copy since there was "already a file
>there by that name."

Your system has ceased at abide by any normal laws of system activity.
Stop now while you're ahead, reformat your hard drive, and replace
everything from your backups.

The file allocation table on the hard drive went berzerk for some
reason.  I've had it happen to me before, too - once on a HyperDrive,
and a few times with Apple HD40SC drives.  Everything is now
completely unpredictable and totally random on your system.  You have
two options - either play around with the drive for a while, screw
everything up, and have to reformat it; or just reformat it now.  I've
tried Option 1 enough times to recommend Option 2.

>I'd appreciate email responses rather than posts
>to the net since comp.sys.mac seems to be so darned
>crowded these days (and who just posted to it three
>times today???? [me]).

Well, you foind this post, didn't you?

Remember your search capability..  You can search for your name or
topic to read follow-ups to your articles.

     << Brian >>
--
| Brian S. Kendig      ^ Macintosh |  /\   _||_ | bskendig                   |
| Computer Engineering |\ Thought  | /__\  \  / | @phoenix.Princeton.EDU     |