[comp.sys.mac] text file modifier

dcbii@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM (dcbii) (12/09/89)

I am looking for a program that can modify text files (a filter program).
I have several of these, but unfortunately, none of the ones I have seem to
be able to change a unix-style file with linefeeds-only at the end of the line
to a Mac style file with a carriage-return-only at the end of a line.  Just
about all of the ones I have either change CR/LF to CR or the other way around.
I do have one that is fairly general, but the replacement string CANNOT contain
a CR!

I could probably write one of these myself (I have written them before for
UNIX and DOS), but the Mac interface would take me more time than it's worth,
since I'm not yet an accomplished Mac user-interface programmer.  Not to
mention the fact that there are probably many good ones out there already.

What utilities of this type are out there? (Especially PD, Freeware, or even
Shareware, if it's not too expensive.)  Alternatively, what specs exist for
writing a filter for the Apple File Exchange program?  The Apple docs sure
don't say too much about this.

Dave Barnhart
NCR Corp.
Engineering & Manufacturing
West Columbia, SC  29169

dcbii@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM (dcbii) writes:

>I am looking for a program that can modify text files (a filter program).
>I have several of these, but unfortunately, none of the ones I have seem to
>be able to change a unix-style file with linefeeds-only at the end of the line
>to a Mac style file with a carriage-return-only at the end of a line.

I use both Add/Strip and McSink (the shareware version of the DA Vantage).
Both are a *lot* of help in moving text back and forth, creating paragraphs,
wrapping to length, curling and (in the case of Add/Strip) uncurling quotes
and the like. For moving stuff from a Mac to Unix, I prefer Add/Strip. I
used to use Macify, but it's good only for importing text, while Add/Strip
goes both ways. McSink is really good for some stuff because it's an
interactive DA rather than a batch processor and good for quick and dirty
one-time hacking that doesn't require spawning a new application.

--

Chuq Von Rospach   <+>   chuq@apple.com   <+>   [This is myself speaking]

When it comes to matters ourside your specialties, you are consistently and
brilliantly stupid [....] with respect to matters you haven't studied and
have had no experience basing your opinions on casual gossip [....] and
plain misinformation -- unsuspected because you haven't attempted to verify it.
	-- Robert Heinlein to J.W. Campbell, Jr. 1941

Armadillo@cup.portal.com (Russ Armadillo Coffman) (12/11/89)

I don't have a file to try it on, but Add/Strip by Jon Wind should do what
you want.  It lets you enter the ASCII value for any character in both the
target and "replace with" fields. Thus you could replace LFs (10) with CRs
(13). Current version is 2.85. It's on America Online, where the author has
his own support subsection (or will soon), and probably on other services
as well. -Russ