[comp.sys.mac] 1/2 system disappeared

bh11+@andrew.cmu.edu (Braddock John Hathaway) (12/10/89)

Hi!

Yesterday, a friend of mine tried to print a pagemaker
file from my mac II to a DeskWriter.  There was a
system crash, and the next time that I booted up,
roughly half of my system folder was gone.  Just gone.

Weird.  Alphabetically, everything after PMUSUSER.TXT,
which (coincidentally or not) is a PageMaker document,
is missing.  The system folder is actually called
"Server Folder" 'cause I have the server software
installed.

The very weirdest thing about this is that the system
still boots from my hard disk, and recognizes that the
server folder is the current system folder . . . even
though there is no file named "system" in the folder!

I took a look at the files in the system using MacTools,
to see if they had somehow become invisible, but to no
avail.  I *HAD* been running about a gajillion inits and
cdevs on startup, but as a result of this mishap, am
only left with about half of them.  The remaining are as
follows:

INITS:
HD Partition INIT
Easy Access
Font/DA Juggler Plus
INIT PramFix
OnCue

CDEVS:
MacTCP
Vaccine 1.0.1
_init cdev
Color
HierDA
General
Keyboard
Kolor
Talking Moose (although I currently have this stifled by _init cdev
        . . . it's entitled "meese", which is why it wasn't deleted)
Monitors
Mouse

All the others are now gone, but here are those I remember:

Pyro
some program that redefined the windows to look like Next.

The rest honestly escape me.

Can anybody offer any kind of help?

I have SUMII installed, so the location of the files is
probably pretty well known . . .

Thanks,

Brad

ianf@nada.kth.se (Ian Feldman) (12/10/89)

In article <4ZUV61S00WBLI26mkL@andrew.cmu.edu> Brad Hathaway writes:

>Yesterday, a friend of mine tried to print a pagemaker
>file from my mac II to a DeskWriter.  There was a
>system crash, and the next time that I booted up,
>roughly half of my system folder was gone.  Just gone.
>
>Weird.  Alphabetically, everything after PMUSUSER.TXT,
>which (coincidentally or not) is a PageMaker document,
>is missing.  The system folder is actually called
>"Server Folder" 'cause I have the server software
>installed.
>
>The very weirdest thing about this is that the system
>still boots from my hard disk, and recognizes that the
>server folder is the current system folder . . . even
>though there is no file named "system" in the folder!
>
>I took a look at the files in the system using MacTools,
>to see if they had somehow become invisible, but to no
>avai.

  [ list of suspected INITs deleted -- they're not responsible anyway ]

  Is your hard drive, by any chance, a Rodime RX4500 (45 Plus)
  (internally called R3000S), formated using Rodime Driver Utility
  2.04 or later?  I am asking because that's the usual behavior of
  my drive after having been "updated" from 2:1 to 1:1 interleave
  using Utility 2.10 - losing most of the stuff in the system file
  and yet being able to boot from it.  Doubtless, there is money to
  be made on this perfectly security-minded "Never-Seen"[tm] System
 "feature"  ;-)

  The drive used to behave perfectly in its previous incarnation of
  interleave 2:1/ driver v. 2.03, which it shortly is going back to....

  While I cannot really know if that's the real reason for your &
  mine troubles I know that the SCSI Manager recognizes the totally
  invisible System/ Finder and boots up, passing control to the
  System that _also_ recognizes the invisible INITs but denies
  them the right to be loaded on account of their being invisible
  (= a virus-like behavior in Apples parlance).  That last "feature"
  seems to have been added from System 6.0.2 onwards.

  Incidentially, my troubles started after simply copying several
  files to a newly created System folder on the external and then
  making several of the documents - not INITs though - invisible
  with the help of the DiskTop (I do like my System folder uncluttered
  and there are absolutely no reasons to have all the myriads of
  strange Preference- and System-folder-resident datafiles visible,
  taking up screen real estate and prolonging the time it takes
  to display its contents).

  I guess the problem has to depend on same strange incompatibilities
  between the three "actors": the Rodime controller ROM, its Driver
  Utility version and some Macintosh programs' behavior.  Thus far
  I have not been able to find out which ones are to be recognized
  for their more-than-usual sense of duty.

  I happen to have 2 Rodimes R3000S, however, one of them internal,
  the other external.  The only difference between them, as far as
  I can see, is that the external one (the one with interleave 1:1
  and _repeatedly_ invisible stuff on it) has ROM version 2.14 while
  the internal's one is 2.21.  The internal has never given me any
  trouble and yet it is formatted with 1:1 interleave, using the
  same Driver as the external unit.

  Apple, Rodime, do call me for the license to the "Never-Seen" name
  of your coming trusted-system-software feature ;-)

--Ian Feldman /  ianf@nada.kth.se || uunet!nada.kth.se!ianf  / "How can men &
       women ever come to an understanding?  They're not even of the same sex."

es2q+@andrew.cmu.edu (Erik Warren Selberg) (12/11/89)

try checking it out with something that detects invisible files... chances are
that's what happened.

...or...

rebuild your desktop.  it could have been corrupted.

------------------/ Megalo Erik \--------------------
GEnie:  E.SELBERG |   Selberg   |     CIS: 71470,2127
Delphi: LORDERIK  |   lost in   |       Fido: 129/107
BBS: 412 268 8974 |   Andrew!   |     MacList: 6009/1
------------------\ help! help! /--------------------

...I'm being confused at CMU!

bh11+@andrew.cmu.edu (Braddock John Hathaway) (12/11/89)

My hard drive is a CMS pro-II/60 (or something to that
effect).

--Brad

Armadillo@cup.portal.com (Russ Armadillo Coffman) (12/11/89)

Brad - bad news. I've heard of this several times, but it has never happened
to me. This situation deteriorates rapidly, so hope you get this post in time.

DO NOT add any files to this disk!! Recover as many files as you can to
floppies or another hard disk. Once this is done, you can play with SAM or
Disk Tools to try to discover what happened, but most likely you will turn up
nothing definitive. After tinkering as a possible learning exercise, run your
hard disk mfgr's tools to see if you have any bad sectors. If not, just
erasing may suffice (indicating a directory problem). To be safe, however, you
might as well do a low-level format, This will reallocate any b{ad spots that
might have popped up since your last format. Good luck, -Russ

davidl@leonardo.intel.com (David D. Levine) (12/12/89)

In article <4ZUV61S00WBLI26mkL@andrew.cmu.edu>, bh11+@andrew.cmu.edu
(Braddock John Hathaway) writes:
> Yesterday [... t]here was a
> system crash, and the next time that I booted up,
> roughly half of my system folder was gone.  Just gone.
>
> Weird.  Alphabetically, everything after PMUSUSER.TXT [...]
> is missing.
>
> The very weirdest thing about this is that the system
> still boots from my hard disk, and recognizes that the
> server folder is the current system folder . . . even
> though there is no file named "system" in the folder!

I had this EXACT thing happen to me once.  You don't mention what kind of
hard disk you have, but mine was a LaCie Cirrus 30 and the problem was in
the disk driver.  If your problem is the same as mine was, I have the
following fix:

1) The files are probably 100% recoverable with SUM.  If you can, borrow
another hard disk and use SUM to recover all the files on your LaCie disk
to the other one, then erase the LaCie disk and copy everything back.  I
did this and it took only an hour or so to recover everything.

2) The source of the problem may be a subtle bug in the LaCie software.  It
is fixed in more recent versions.  (I was running a really crufty old version
when the bug bit me, so I have no idea when it was fixed.)  Get the most
recent software from LaCie and this won't happen again.

Thanks are due to Brian Seligmann for spotting and fixing my problem.  Hope
this helps you.

NOTE:  This is the only problem I have EVER had with the excellent LaCie
software and I continue to unconditionally recommend LaCie's hard disks and
software.  (Unsolicited testimonial.)

- David D. Levine, Intel IMSO Tech Pubs
  davidl@leonardo.intel.com
  "Mr. LaForge, when I turned this ship over to you, it was in one piece!"