[comp.sys.mac] WDEF Virus and the "Doctors"

gaynor@bat.cis.ohio-state.edu (Vampire) (12/11/89)

	I just wanted to do someting that I haven't seen anyone else do, and
that is to say "Thank you" to John Norstad, author of Disinfectant, and to
all the other people involved in the "good fight" against the WDEF virus - and
all the other viruses that exist in the Macinstosh Community.
	I do consulting work for the university on a student basis, but being
one of the few people in my department with access to the Internet, I get the
news relatively quick, and am often the one who deals with distributing and
acting on this news.  I haven't read news since Thursday, and, logging on
today, saw not only the discovery of the WDEF virus, but it's analysis and
the counter-measures taken (in the form of Eradicator, Disinfectant 1.4,
and the INIT written by the man in Finland<?>).  Thanks alot, guys, for
caring enough to do all this, and to do it as well as you do.

	A comment on WDEF:  While I have yet to check all the HDs in the
office (and at various campus sites), we have been "losing" icons for
a number of programs/inits/cdevs stored in the system folder.  The beginning
of this behavior seems to coincide with the suspected "release date" of the
WDEF virus - namely, mid October.  John, or anyone else, do you have any idea
if this is yet another one of WDEF's symptoms?

	Again, thank you.

-=-
|  Jim Gaynor..."The Vampire Lestat"      UseNet: gaynor@cis.ohio-state.edu  |
|   The Ohio State University - Instructional and Research Computer Center   |

bskendig@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Brian Kendig) (12/11/89)

In article <74866@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> Vampire <gaynor@cis.ohio-state.edu> writes:
>	I just wanted to do someting that I haven't seen anyone else do, and
>that is to say "Thank you" to John Norstad, author of Disinfectant, and to
>all the other people involved in the "good fight" against the WDEF virus - and
>all the other viruses that exist in the Macinstosh Community.

Rah!  Rah!  Rah!  Three cheers for them.  Fine job, guys - the
Macintosh world wouldn't be safe without you!

Meanwhile, I have the proverbial egg in my face.  I posted the
original article that doubted the existence of the WDEF virus, and
later was convinced by an overwhelming quantity of E-mail that the
virus was indeed spreading.  I noticed the posts about the string to
add to VirusDetective to check for the new virus, so I made the
necessary addition.  (For those of you who didn't catch it: To make
VirusDetective check for the WDEF virus add the string "Creator=ERIK &
Resource WDEF & Any" to your searches file.)

Well, just to test it, I ran the modified copy of VirusDetective on my
hard drive.  Of course I wouldn't find anything, because I hadn't used
any outside disks in my system, and I always kept my own disks locked
whenever I used them in other systems.  In short, I practice 'safe
hex'...

I'm almost too embarrassed to admit what VirusDetective found.

And I'm also at a loss to figure out *how* it happened.  I
meticulously take all sorts of precautions to see that this sort of
thing won't be possible... it must have happened more than half a
month ago!

Somehow, the WDEF virus got into MY machine!

     << Brian >>

--
| Brian S. Kendig      ^ Macintosh |  /\   _||_ | bskendig                   |
| Computer Engineering |\ Thought  | /__\  \  / | @phoenix.Princeton.EDU     |

mck@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Mark Kilby) (12/13/89)

In article <74866@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> Vampire <gaynor@cis.ohio-state.edu> writes:

>	I just wanted to do someting that I haven't seen anyone else do, and
>that is to say "Thank you" to John Norstad, author of Disinfectant, and to
>all the other people involved in the "good fight" against the WDEF virus - and
>all the other viruses that exist in the Macinstosh Community.

ABSOLUTELY!!!!  Many thanks to John and all the other Mac "Doctors" out there.
I think we all know where we would be without them.

Digression:

	If all these hack-heads who create these viruses want to prove
just how brilliant they are, why not create a non-malicious application WHICH
IS NOT A VIRUS, but could be bundled with shareware.  This little companion
application would permit the new user to try out shareware for either
(a) a specific length of time (i.e. a month) or (b) a specific number of
times (i.e. the user could run it 20 times or so).
	After this period, the COMPANION (that's what I'll call it for now)
would ask for a key code that the user could obtain from the shareware
author after paying that typically miniscule fee.  If the code is not
entered, the COMPANION would either (a) lock up the shareware application
or (b) remove the application.
	Before I get flamed for daydreaming, I will claim that I have no idea
how difficult or simple this may be to do.  However, it is my idea and if
someone does write a COMPANION-like application, I ask that it be shareware.
That's my only claim to the idea.

Disclaimer:  "The opinions expressed are mine alone.  The concepts have
		changed to protect the innoent."

mck@beach.cis.ufl.edu
"See ... I'm an ideas man Chuck!" - Michael Keaton, Night Shift