[comp.sys.mac] PS font files

jeremyr@cs.qmc.ac.uk (Jeremy Roussak) (12/11/89)

I'm sure this has been asked before, but could someone tell me where
in a FONT or FOND resource the printer font file name is stored?
I can't seem to find it.

kaufman@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Marc T. Kaufman) (12/12/89)

In article <1517@sequent.cs.qmc.ac.uk> jeremyr@cs.qmc.ac.uk (Jeremy Roussak) writes:

>I'm sure this has been asked before, but could someone tell me where
>in a FONT or FOND resource the printer font file name is stored?
>I can't seem to find it.

The printer font file name "pieces" are stored after the width tables in the
FOND.  You should find the main name (e.g. "__Helvetica"), and some optional
suffixes (e.g. "-", "bold").  The table just before the name bits tells how
to use the style to put together the name and a suitable set of suffixes to
get the real font name.

Marc Kaufman (kaufman@Neon.stanford.edu)

piggy@tubopal.UUCP (Piggysoft) (12/13/89)

In article <1517@sequent.cs.qmc.ac.uk> jeremyr@cs.qmc.ac.uk (Jeremy Roussak) writes:

>I'm sure this has been asked before, but could someone tell me where
>in a FONT or FOND resource the printer font file name is stored?
>I can't seem to find it.

The FOND resources containes the PostScript /findfont name of a
font.

From this the name of the downloadable font file is constructed.
Five letters from the beginning of the name, three from any
subsequent portion of the name.

Expl:
	Palatino 		Palat
	Palatino-Roman		PalatRom
	Palatino-Bold-Italic	PalatBolIta

If you need references to the "official" documentation send me a note.

			from the desktop metaphor of
					 Fabian Hahn
				      piggy@tub.uucp
					piggy@tub.de
			..!{pyramid,unido}!tub!piggy
				piggy@db0tui6.BITNET

briand@tekig5.PEN.TEK.COM (Brian Diehm) (12/13/89)

>I'm sure this has been asked before, but could someone tell me where
>in a FONT or FOND resource the printer font file name is stored?
>I can't seem to find it.

It is in some fields near the end of the FOND resource, but the fields are not
documented in Inside Macintosh. Instead, IM gives reference to Inside Laser-
Writer. Fiendish, eh? You get to buy yet another $20 book!

--
-Brian Diehm
Tektronix, Inc.                (503) 627-3437         briand@tekig5.PEN.TEK.COM