[comp.sys.mac] MacMoney vs Dollar & Sense

jhs@zug.csmil.umich.edu (Hee-Sen Jong) (12/01/89)

Someone posted an article summarising the differences between MacMoney
and Dollar & Sense recently.  I lost the article.  Could the originator
or anyone who has the article send it to me please.

dks@shumv1.uucp (D. K. Smith) (12/02/89)

In article <1989Dec1.153215.20583@csmil.umich.edu> jhs@csmil.umich.edu (Hee-Sen Jong) writes:
>Someone posted an article summarising the differences between MacMoney
>and Dollar & Sense recently....

Could a netter just repost the info on the financial management
packages.  And if anyone has had good or bad experiences with MECA's MYM
please comment.

Thanks,

dk smith
-------------

ralph@cbnewsj.ATT.COM (Ralph Brandi) (12/05/89)

In article <1989Dec1.220829.7396@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu> dks@shumv1.ncsu.edu (D. K. Smith) writes:
>packages.  And if anyone has had good or bad experiences with MECA's MYM
>please comment.

The January, 1990, issue of Macworld has an article that takes MYM
to task for forcing the user to adapt to its assumptions.  Steven
Levy doesn't like a lot of little things about it, like a lack of an
Undo command, that give it the feel of being a PC port (which it is).

I haven't worked with MYM myself, though, so I can't comment.
--
Ralph Brandi     ralph@lzfme.att.com     att!lzfme!ralph

Work flows toward the competent until they are submerged.

libby@Mips.COM (Jeff Libby) (12/06/89)

I've been using Dollars and Sense for a while, and like it pretty well.
Data entry (what you spend most of your time doing) is fast and easy --
you can do it with the keyboard or mouse.  It could stand improvement in
reports and charts (especially the lack of a "Report of all
Transactions").

I tried MYM, lured by its feature list.  I stopped using it because (in
priority order):
  -- it's SLOW on a Plus
  -- transaction data entry is awkward (you have to go from the mouse to
        the keyboard and back several times during a transaction)
  -- stock data entry is very awkward
  -- The tax estimator isn't as complete as I hoped

I'm currently doing tax stuff by importing a Dollars and Sense report
into my Excel tax spreadsheets, and that seems to work okay.
************************
Jeff Libby
Mips Computer Systems
{decvax,ucbvax,hplabs,sun,ames,prls}!decwrl!mips!libby  or  libby@mips.com

fleming@cup.portal.com (Stephen R Fleming) (12/06/89)

[Tried twice via e-mail; bounced both times...]

The author was Jeff Wiseman <wiseman@tellab5>... the upshot was MacMoney is
superior.  I agree, having used MacMoney since 1986.

I don't have the original article, but write Jeff and he will send it to you.

+--------------------------+-------------------------------------------+
|  Stephen Fleming         | My employer doesn't pay for this account. |
|  fleming@cup.portal.com  | In fact, my employer doesn't even know    |
|  CI$:   76354,3176       | I'm here!  Disclaimer enough for any      |
|  Voice: (703) 847-7058   | network-aware lawyer-types, I hope...     |
+--------------------------+-------------------------------------------+

t-jacobs@cs.utah.edu (Tony Jacobs) (12/07/89)

In article <24750@cup.portal.com> fleming@cup.portal.com (Stephen R Fleming) writes:
>The author was Jeff Wiseman <wiseman@tellab5>... the upshot was MacMoney is
>superior.  I agree, having used MacMoney since 1986.

Superior? Nah. Maybe cheaper, easier to use (very debatable) in some peoples
eyes.

I've been using D & $ since about 1985. It is very full featured and full of
reporting capabilities (pie charts, bar charts, trends etc.). It is likely
that it takes more to learn its features than MacMoney.

One thing I like a lot is you can create your accounts in an hierarchy. I've
created my hierarchy to line up with all the tax forms I have to fill out and
all the subtotals get copied straight over. That takes care of half of my tax
woes.

D&$ is also really easy in the transition from one year to the next because it
can keep two years around.

AND ONE MORE THING: My Dad is bigger than your Dad! :-}

Tony Jacobs * Center for Engineering Design * U of U * t-jacobs@cs.utah.edu

fleming@cup.portal.com (Stephen R Fleming) (12/08/89)

This was accidentally e-mailed to me rather than posted.  I'm posting it to
the net at the author's request.  I am guilty of oversimplifying Jeff's
views on MacMoney... mea culpa!

>From: uunet!tellab5.tellabs.COM!wiseman (Jeff Wiseman)
>Subject: Re: MacMoney vs Dollar & Sense
>Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac
>
>Thought I would just clarify this a bit.
>
>I wouldn't say IN GENERAL that MacMoney is superior. I would say (from the
>feed back that I got and my own experience) that MacMoney is probably more
>solid and definitely people are happier with the support that they have
>received.  Survivor Software seems to be doing a great job here.
>
>HOWEVER
>
>The impression that I get from people who have used D&S for a while
>(myself included) and have tried MacMoney or Managing your Money like the
>"orthogonality" and flexibility of D&S's interface so much that in spite
>of the other problems, they have still returned to D&S.
>
>Please note that most of D&S's "bugs" seem to be nuisance problems. For
>example, under certain conditions, if you have a report on the screen and
>then in another window modify a transaction that can affect that report,
>the report will update but it can rearrange the accounts involved in the
>sums such that the sums are incorrect - this is obvious though since the
>account has physically moved on the report into another subgroup making the
>error obvious. All you do to correct this is to close the window and then
>regenerate it.  Everything then comes up clean.
>
>Another is if you do a Net Worth report but only select (a) Liability
>account(s), the report shows them as positive values instead of negative.
>Minor point since when you add a single asset account to the report, this
>corrects itself.
>
>I have yet to see D&S crash. Also, I have several (7-10) inits that I use
>and that behaviour of D&S seems to be consistent regardless of whether the
>inits are there or not.
>
>Remember though, pre- 4.X versions of D&S had a very different interface.
>I am using version 4.1c, the most recent.
>--
>Jeff Wiseman:....uunet!tellab5!wiseman OR wiseman@TELLABS.COM

Personal opinion on the above -- I trust Jeff's judgement, but I wouldn't
want to trust my finances to a program that makes "obvious" errors.  Two
reasons:  (1) I often do my bookkeeping late at night, and there's no
guarantee that I'll be sharp enough to notice even obvious errors...
(2) Once a program has made an obvious error, I'm awfully uncomfortable
with the idea that it might be making NON-obvious errors as well.

Different strokes for different folks.  MacMoney works for me, so I have no
incentive to change.  If you're purchasing for the first time, try 'em all
and see what works for you.

+--------------------------+-------------------------------------------+

landman@hanami.Sun.COM (Howard A. Landman x61391) (12/13/89)

In article <1989Dec1.220829.7396@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu> dks@shumv1.ncsu.edu (D. K. Smith) writes:
>And if anyone has had good or bad experiences with MECA's MYM please comment.

Just got Managing Your Money a few days ago.  It seems really well thought out.
There are lots of shortcuts so once you get familiar with it you can really
cook.  At the moment it looks like it will take about 15 to 20 hours TOTAL
to enter and reconcile all of 1989's activity, including multiple checking
and savings accounts, credit cards, brokerage accounts, tax categories, and
so forth.  This includes learning time on the program, AND setting up accounts
the way I want them the first time.  There are some minor frustrations, but
they tend to be of the form "They got this 98% right - why couldn't they have
done the last 2%?".

I haven't tried the automatic export to MacInTax yet, but expect to use it
in a few weeks.

At the same time I ordered For The Record from Nolo Press.  For The Record
is nearly useless - it is basically a Mac version of a paper list of your
assets.  It is often obtuse - is the "value" of a stock certificate supposed
to be the per-share value or the total value? - but this ultimately doesn't
matter because there's nothing you can do with the data you've entered
except print it out.  There's not even a way to add up the total value!
Plus, the software is fairly slow.  The same functionality could have been
built into a HyperCard stack and been several times faster and MUCH more
flexible.  The only good thing about FTR is the book that comes with it,
and the list of assets to consider already built into the program (but even
that had some holes, and you can't fix them.)  I'll be sending FTR back;
MYM can do most of the same data entry, with the additional advantage of
tying the data into the rest of my financial universe.

RECOMMENDATION: Forget For The Record - either pay the extra money for a REAL
package like Managing Your Money, or do it in HyperCard, or stick with paper.

PRICES: MacConnection has MYM for $124, FTR for $28.  (They accidentally
sent me Adobe Type Manager at first instead of Managing Your Money, but
one phone call straightened everything out.)

	Howard A. Landman
	landman%hanami@eng.sun.com