[comp.sys.mac] DECnet for Macs

deuchar@topo.UUCP (Gregg Deuchar) (12/07/89)

Does anyone know of a thirdparty DECnet software package for Macs?

--
[ Gregg Deuchar, Systems Analyst  |  All opinions expressed are MINE only.   ]
[ GenRad STP - Milpitas, CA       |  Path: {sun,aeras}!topo!deuchar          ]

rewing@Apple.COM (Richard Ewing) (12/10/89)

Try TSSnet from Thursby Software.  It's very good and is what we usually
demonstrate to people in our office.  It over DECnet mail, terminal emulation
via your favorite terminal program, file transfer, and the ability to
program to the TSSnet driver for your own purposes.  Its distributed
by Alisa Systems in Pasedena, CA.  Their number is 818-792-9474.

TYhere is also a competing product called Community-Mac, but I don't know
much about it.

|Disclaimer:  Segmentation Fault: Core Dumped.                            |
|Internet: REWING@APPLE.COM-----------------------Rick Ewing              |
|ApplelinkPE & MacNet Soon!------------------Apple Computer, Inc.         |
|Applelink: EWING--------------------100 Ashford Center North, Suite 100  |
|Compu$erve: [76474,1732]--------------------Atlanta, GA 30338            |
|GENIE: R.EWING1--------------------------TalkNet: (404) 393-9358         |
|USENET: {amdahl,decwrl,sun,unisoft}!apple!rewing                         |
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

kingman@tci.bell-atl.com (Matt Kingman) (12/13/89)

deuchar@topo.UUCP (Gregg Deuchar) writes:

>Does anyone know of a thirdparty DECnet software package for Macs?

There are two.  CommUnity-Mac by Technology Concepts Inc. and TSSnet by
Thursby Software Systems.  They both provide VMSmail, virtual terminal,
remote file access, network management capability, and transparent file
access.  I won't give you a review (I'm biased... see .sig) but I can
tell you that both products have been reviewed in several publications,
the most recent for CommUnity being Digital Review, August 28, 1989.

For more info on CommUnity-Mac you can contact:

	Everex Systems, Inc.
	48431 Milmont Ave.
	Fremont, CA 94538
	(415)498-1111 x.4505
	(800)821-0806 x.4505

or if you have specific questions, you can send me mail.

/Matt