[comp.sys.mac] dual drive in SE or II

jgt@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (John Tsang) (12/03/89)

I've been very confused whether there can be 2 -- internal -- floppy drive
(highly preferably the FDHD) in the SE, II, IIx, SE/30, IIcx and the IIci as
well as the portable.
        I've asked this question to many apparently experts -- at least
comparing with me -- from the Bitnet newsgroups, even those people who seem
to work in Apple:  but, have got different answers.

        I'm now using a Mac SE, and I'm thinking of getting an either SE/30
or the IIcx -- perphaps, the IIci, if the price drops, or, I can afford it
(for it doesn't seem to worth the price currently).  Chiefly I need a system
that: can have 2 internal floppy, so that when the hard disk breaks down, I
can still use it;
thus, at least one internal hard disk (no preference for full height or
1/2 height -- as I don't know the differences);
subsequently, at least to one external hard disk -- for backup, additional
storage or portability;
lastly, but not least importantly,
        to connect to either a full-page or a dual-page monitor -- in the
case of SE/30, it will need to be an additional external monitor -- that
consequently, it needs to have enough slot(s) to be put the card for the
bigger monitor, and, more memory (I also want to have at least 2 Meg RAM to
use Multifinder with PageMaker and Superpaint simultaneously.

        Therefore, I'm trying to find out if the SE/30 and the IIcx can be
put 2 internal floppy,
at least 1 internal hard disk -- if not, possibly in the situation of SE/30,
only external hard disk is acceptable;
and expansion cards for memory and bigger monitor.
        Hence, the SE/30 and the IIcx apparently are the least expensive
systems to upgrade from SE to have better performance and faster speed.  The
II is old technology (I guess -- same 68000), while the IIx is too big and (I
think) I don't need that many slots for just what I need -- it may be useful,
if I have to use it for a SERVER!?  And, the IIci must be too expensive and
too difficult for me to buy and use as well as (I've heard) not worth it yet.

Thanks for replying!

mithomas@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Michael Thomas Niehaus) (12/05/89)

Here are what I see as the possible configurations regarding floppy disk
drives:

Mac Plus:  One internal, one external.
Mac SE:    If no internal hard disk, two internal and one external.
           If internal hard disk, one internal and one external.
Mac SE/30: One internal, one external.
Mac II:    Two internal.
Mac IIx:   Two internal.
Mac IIcx:  One internal, one external.
Mac IIci:  One internal, one external.
Mac Port:  One internal, one external (I think -- never seen one with two
              drives)

That should about cover it.  Now, for hard disks, these machines can have
internal hard disks (at least Apple-supported internal hard disks):

Mac SE, Mac SE/30, Mac II, Mac IIx, Mac IIci, Mac IIcx, Mac Portable

That means that a Mac Plus cannot (although several third-party drives
exist).  All Macs can have external hard drives (since the 512KE, I think --
that was before my time).

Please correct me if I slipped up somewhere.

-Michael

--
Michael Niehaus        UUCP: <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee}!bsu-cs!mithomas
Apple Student Rep      ARPA:  mithomas@bsu-cs.bsu.edu

ajauch@ics.uci.edu (Alexander Edwin Jauch) (12/05/89)

In article <10363@bsu-cs.bsu.edu> mithomas@bsu-cs.UUCP (Michael Thomas Niehaus) writes:
>Here are what I see as the possible configurations regarding floppy disk
>drives:
>
>Mac Plus:  One internal, one external.
>Mac SE:    If no internal hard disk, two internal and one external.
>           If internal hard disk, one internal and one external.
>  [lotsa stuff deleted]

I don't mean to be contrary, but you did ask for corrections.  I currently
own an SE with two internal floppies and an internal hard drive.  All I needed
was the proper bracket to fit the drive inside my mac.  I was worried about
heat, but so far three months with no AC in my dorm room and no problems.

Sorry,
aj
ajauch@bonnie.ics.uci.edu

pff@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Pablo Fernicola) (12/05/89)

In article <10363@bsu-cs.bsu.edu> mithomas@bsu-cs.UUCP (Michael Thomas Niehaus) writes:
>Here are what I see as the possible configurations regarding floppy disk
>drives:
>
>Mac Plus:  One internal, one external.
>Mac SE:    If no internal hard disk, two internal and one external.
>           If internal hard disk, one internal and one external.

A friend has a Mac SE with two internal disk drives AND an internal 40 Mbytes
hard disk.  It works really nice (he did the installation of the hard disk
himself).

>Michael Niehaus        UUCP: <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee}!bsu-cs!mithomas
>Apple Student Rep      ARPA:  mithomas@bsu-cs.bsu.edu
>Ball State University  AppleLink: ST0374 (from UUCP: st0374@applelink.apple.com)

--
pff@beach.cis.ufl.edu - Pablo Fernicola - Machine Intelligence Laboratory - UF
		IF YOU CARE ENOUGH TO READ SIGNATURES ...

bob@ivucsb.sba.ca.us (Bob Bishop) (12/05/89)

I noticed an error here:
	An SE can have two floppy drives and a hard one all tucked inside.
I know it can 'cus I put them into mine.  The floppy drives mount in the
front panel and the hard drive on top and behind the upperdrive.  This
config. doesn't leave much room inside, but it all fits.  You do have to
get (or make) a special bracket for the hard drive installation.
	Also some hard drives (I'm guessing with bigger magnetic fields)
do cause slight screen shake when they access. (The yolk is right above
the hard disk in this configuration)  Seagate 20meg doesn't but Quantum 40
meg does......

~Here are the corrections I see fit to add:

~Mac Plus:  One internal, one external.
~Mac SE:    If (apple hard disk), one internal and one external.
~           If int. hard disk installed later then two int. floppy drives.
~Mac SE/30: One internal, one external.(probably same as SE/ but not sure!)
~Mac II:    Two internal.
~Mac IIx:   Two internal.
~Mac IIcx:  One internal, one external.
~Mac IIci:  One internal, one external.
~Mac Port:  One internal, one external (I think -- never seen one with two
~              drives)

~That should about cover it.  Now, for hard disks, these machines can have
~internal hard disks (at least Apple-supported internal hard disks):

~Mac SE, Mac SE/30, Mac II, Mac IIx, Mac IIci, Mac IIcx, Mac Portable

~Please correct me if I slipped up somewhere.

~-Michael

--->	It was just a small addition but I had just installed it in my
SE so I thought I'd add to the list.

---> 	Bob

--
--->		Bob Bishop	--->	bob@ivucsb.sba.ca.us		<---
--->									<---

wwtaroli@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Bill Taroli) (12/06/89)

In article <10363@bsu-cs.bsu.edu> mithomas@bsu-cs.UUCP (Michael Thomas Niehaus) writes:
>Here are what I see as the possible configurations regarding floppy disk
>drives:
>
>Mac SE:    If no internal hard disk, two internal and one external.
>           If internal hard disk, one internal and one external.
>
>Please correct me if I slipped up somewhere.

Well, this really depends on how you go about putting a hard disk in an SE.
For those of us who opt not to go with Apple's limiting setups (and want the
second internal drive with an internal HD), there is a simple solution... a
number of them actually.  Just get a third-party drive with a mounting bracket
for either side or rear mounting inside the machine... then you can have your
cake and eat it too...  (Internal HD does have to be 3.5", though)

Bill Taroli
WWTAROLI@RODAN.acs.syr.edu

mha@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Mark H. Anbinder) (12/08/89)

In article <10363@bsu-cs.bsu.edu> mithomas@bsu-cs.UUCP (Michael Thomas Niehaus) writes:
>Here are what I see as the possible configurations regarding floppy disk
>drives:
>Mac Port:  One internal, one external (I think -- never seen one with two
>              drives)

The Portable can be configured with an additional internal floppy above
where the first one is situated.  It goes in the same place where the
hard drive would be installed.  When there is a second floppy drive, you
replace the side panel with one with a slot in it for a disk to go through.

Anyone who tries to use a Mac these days with two floppy drives and no
hard drive, though, deserves what they get. :-)

--
Mark H. Anbinder        ************************** mha@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu
BAKA Industries                                 ** ...!batcomputer!memory!mha

CJENKINSR@mail.cut.oz (Richard Jenkins) (12/13/89)

In article <1479@rodan.acs.syr.edu>, wwtaroli@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Bill Taroli) writes:
> In article <10363@bsu-cs.bsu.edu> mithomas@bsu-cs.UUCP (Michael Thomas Niehaus) writes:
>>Here are what I see as the possible configurations regarding floppy disk
>>drives:

[stuff deleted]

--

There is one small problem. On my SE the expansion slot is parallel with the
back of the machine, but on the later models (quiet fan vintage, or

If you install a hard drive with a bracket holding the drive vertical on the
right hand side of the mac, the slot becomes limited in it's usefulness, as
there is a bloody great hard disk in the way. Not many third parties produce
add-on cards that are compact enough to fit with a hard drive.

"Look guys, Apple left us all this ROOM: let's only use half of it.."

By the time you've stuck in all this gear, and fabricated custom brackets and
cables to fit your 210Mb disk, your whizzo super accelerator card and your
incandescant latin american RAM, it'll go nearly as well as an SE/30.

Until the release of the next version of (insert software package, by Apple,
Microsoft, or anyone else) when it will crash and burn because no-one develops
software for a market that is numbered in hundreds rather then thousands,
millions even.

Sorry to rave on, but the drive vendor won't tell you, and the card vendor
won't tell you, and Apple...

Richard Jenkins      Tel: (09) 351 7864                      AppleLink:AUST0176
PC Support Group     Fax: (09) 351 2673            ACSnet:cjenkinsr@mail.cut.oz
Curtin University    Perth, Western Australia    psi%050529452300030::cjenkinsr