[comp.sys.mac] Encapsulated Postscript

joej@oakhill.UUCP (Joe Jelemensky) (12/13/89)

Just what is "Encapsulated Postscript"?  I've seen this term used a lot
lately amongst Mac & Sun dialog.

1. I assume it's a Postscript program with some header and/or footer wrapped
   around it.  Right or wrong?

2. Is there some standard encapsulation info which goes on the front and/or
   back?  If so, what is the standard and/or where is it defined?

3. How does one "Encapsulate" a Postscript program?

4. How does one use "Encapsulated Postscript"?  I assume it is to be able
   to embed a Postscript program into another document which eventually
   gets printed on a laser printer of some sort (not necessarily Apple).
   Right or wrong?

   I know how to capture the Postscript form of a document from a Mac.  Now
   how do I encapsulate it so it can used on say a Sun workstation document
   processor?  (Example: Company logo drawn to spec on a Mac which I would
   like to embed in specifications done on a Sun).

Thanks in advance.

 .__________________________________________________________________________.
 |                                                          *****           |
 |Joe Jelemensky                                            *   *           |
 |Semiconductor Products Sector (SPS)                       *   *********   |
 |Microprocessor Products Group (MPG)                  ******             * |
 |Microcontroller Division (MCU)                         *     OAKHILL    * |
 |Motorola, Inc.                                          *  * *  .+    *   |
 |USNAIL: 6501 William Cannon Drive West, Austin, TX 78735 **   *    *      |
 |NET: ...!cs.utexas.edu!oakhill!sol!joej                        *  *       |
 |AT&T: (512) 891-2243                    IBM: RTA270@WACCVM2      **       |
 |__________________________________________________________________________|

joej@oakhill.UUCP (Joe Jelemensky) writes:
>Just what is "Encapsulated Postscript"?  I've seen this term used a lot
>lately amongst Mac & Sun dialog.

>1. I assume it's a Postscript program with some header and/or footer wrapped
>   around it.  Right or wrong?

Right. The idea is to create a postscript image that is position independent
and can be safely included in other postscript programs or printed without
outside support (i.e. doesn't depened on a 'prep file).

>2. Is there some standard encapsulation info which goes on the front and/or
>   back?  If so, what is the standard and/or where is it defined?

Adobe's third volume on postscript (the green book) describes it.

>3. How does one "Encapsulate" a Postscript program?

See above.

--

Chuq Von Rospach   <+>   chuq@apple.com   <+>   [This is myself speaking]

For herein may be seen noble chivalry, courtesy, humanity, friendliness,
cowardice, murder, hate, virtue and sin. Do after the good and leave the
evil, and it shall bring you to good fame and renown. -- Malory