[comp.sys.mac] SoftPC and Color Emulation

bhclg@garnet.berkeley.edu (12/03/89)

Does anyone know whether SoftPC will run color applications?
For example, I have the game "Life and Death" for the PC and
it is designed to run in CGA/EGA/VGA format on the PC.  The
Mac version of the game is still in black and white.  Will
 SoftPC run the game in color on my Mac IIcx (I have an Apple high
res. color monitor and an 8 bit Apple color card)?

	Thanks in advance,

	Bruce McNamara

markr@studsys.mu.edu (rodenkirch) (12/04/89)

I also have SoftPC.  With it I have some color games including Tetris.
My IIcx will do color graphics with SoftPC.
--
Mark G. Rodenkirch                    markr@studsys.UUCP

"But God really exists," said the old man.  And I knew the old man
was telling the truth because I knew that Santa would never lie.

paryavi@harris.cis.ksu.edu (Saiid Paryavi) (12/05/89)

In article <1989Dec3.030554.13151@agate.berkeley.edu> bhclg@garnet.berkeley.edu () writes:
>Does anyone know whether SoftPC will run color applications?
>For example, I have the game "Life and Death" for the PC and
>it is designed to run in CGA/EGA/VGA format on the PC.  The
>Mac version of the game is still in black and white.  Will
> SoftPC run the game in color on my Mac IIcx (I have an Apple high
>res. color monitor and an 8 bit Apple color card)?

Yes.  SoftPc emulates CGA graphics very nicely.

The new version, SoftPC 286 is supposed to emulate EGA or VGA!

--
Saiid Paryavi                      			Computer Science Dept.
Internet:  paryavi@harris.cis.ksu.edu			Nichols Hall

phil@vaxphw.enet.dec.com (Phil Hunt) (12/06/89)

In article <5139@deimos.cis.ksu.edu>, paryavi@harris.cis.ksu.edu (Saiid Paryavi) writes...
}In article <1989Dec3.030554.13151@agate.berkeley.edu> bhclg@garnet.berkeley.edu () writes:
}>Does anyone know whether SoftPC will run color applications?
}>For example, I have the game "Life and Death" for the PC and
}>it is designed to run in CGA/EGA/VGA format on the PC.  The
}>Mac version of the game is still in black and white.  Will
}> SoftPC run the game in color on my Mac IIcx (I have an Apple high
}>res. color monitor and an 8 bit Apple color card)?
}>
}
}Yes.  SoftPc emulates CGA graphics very nicely.
}
}The new version, SoftPC 286 is supposed to emulate EGA or VGA!
}
}Saiid Paryavi                      			Computer Science Dept.

WOWWWWWW!   I did not know they are doing a 286 version!  When did this
get announced?

BTW, While on the SoftPC bandwagon...Has anyone gotten MSDOS 4.01 to work
under SoftPC?  I tried, it looked like it was ok, but I couldn't run Format
on 'new' virtual HD devices and CHKDSK said 'Invalid drive specification'
for anything but A:

Any ideas?
Phil Hunt                      "Wherever you go, there you are!!!"
Digital Equipment Corporation                 Phone: (508)486-2164
ENET:        VAXPHW::PHIL
USENET:      phil@vaxphw.enet.dec.com
MOREUSENET:  phil%vaxphw.dec@decwrl.enet.dec.com
EVENMORE:    ....!decwrl!dec-vaxphw!phil

paryavi@harris.cis.ksu.edu (Saiid Paryavi) (12/06/89)

In article <6622@shlump.nac.dec.com> phil@vaxphw.enet.dec.com (Phil Hunt) writes:
>WOWWWWWW!   I did not know they are doing a 286 version!  When did this
>get announced?
>
>BTW, While on the SoftPC bandwagon...Has anyone gotten MSDOS 4.01 to work
>under SoftPC?  I tried, it looked like it was ok, but I couldn't run Format
>on 'new' virtual HD devices and CHKDSK said 'Invalid drive specification'
>for anything but A:

The rumor about SoftPC 286 was heard around the SoftPC booth at COMDEX.
I don't know how much truth there is to it!

--

jtn@zodiac.ADS.COM (John Nelson) (12/13/89)

>Yes.  SoftPc emulates CGA graphics very nicely.
>
>The new version, SoftPC 286 is supposed to emulate EGA or VGA!

Let's see... if SoftPC emulates a DOS environment and NeXTStep will
soon run on IBM DOS machines then that means you can port NeXTStep to
the Mac!

It's too ludicrous to even be true.

John T. Nelson			UUCP: sun!sundc!potomac!jtn
Advanced Decision Systems	Internet:  jtn@potomac.ads.com
1500 Wilson Blvd #512; Arlington, VA 22209-2401		(703) 243-1611

amanda@mermaid.intercon.com (Amanda Walker) (12/13/89)

In article <10040@zodiac.ADS.COM>, jtn@zodiac.ADS.COM (John Nelson) writes:
> Let's see... if SoftPC emulates a DOS environment and NeXTStep will
> soon run on IBM DOS machines then that means you can port NeXTStep to
> the Mac!
>
> It's too ludicrous to even be true.

I dunno... a couple of us here have debated the idea of running the Prodigy
PC software under SoftPC so that it'll be MultiFinder compatible :-)...

Amanda Walker
InterCon Systems Corporation
--

ph@cci632.UUCP (Pete Hoch) (12/14/89)

Amanda Walker writes:
> John Nelson writes:
> > Let's see... if SoftPC emulates a DOS environment and NeXTStep will
> > soon run on IBM DOS machines then that means you can port NeXTStep to
> > the Mac!

> > It's too ludicrous to even be true.

> I dunno... a couple of us here have debated the idea of running the Prodigy
> PC software under SoftPC so that it'll be MultiFinder compatible :-)...

I have already tried this.  Guess what.  It did not work.  I called Prodigy
support and they said that their program does not work with emulators.  How
many DOS emulators are there?  Anyway I think they are useing hardware
handshaking to the modem and SoftPC can not deal with this.

Pete Hoch